Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Phaeton04

RVF Regular
I installed the new filter and made sure the old gasket on the thread end was removed and new gasket installed. Filled up the new filter with fuel making sure to plug the center hole. installed the new fuel filter and started it up and test drove it.
It now has Very low power when accelerating as well as shaking when it try to accelerate.
I also installed a new air filter

What could be wrong, It ran great up until I changed the fuel filter. This is on a Freightliner chassis, Cat 3126E (HEP20882) with only (1) fuel/water separator.
I have installed 3 new filters with the same results. using the following filters Cat 1752949, Baldwin BF1268 and now Wix 33783 w/bowl.
Freightliner said the original filter was Racor 3203 (Alliance ABPN12232FRT03)
Totally confused. What do I need to try now.

Do you have a rough idle? Any codes / engine lights?

I had a similar problem this summer and it was also after filter changes so I thought that was the issue. Also thought I might possibly have bad fuel. So I changed the filters again but the problem persisted. Finally got the computer codes pulled and it came up as an injector issue. Luckily it was just a loose connector.

Anyway my point is it may or may not be related to the filter change so don't let that limit your troubleshooting.

Good Luck,
Kenny

Thank you.. Your right. I was focused on the fuel filter change.
Will have to check into that. The engine light does not come on after its started.
How did you get the computer codes pulled

Could also be air in the system even if you pre-filled your filter with clean diesel. How long has it been running since the filter changes?

I’d give it a few hours of run time to purge before looking elsewhere because:
a) I like to attack the simple thing first,
b) coincidences happen but not that often, and
c) you don’t have any MILs.

Also I know its unlikely you created the situation by changing the air filter incorrectly, but it does also sound like the kind of symptom you’d get from restricted air flow.

I had an engine light so knew I had codes to read. You may not have any. I stopped at the nearest Cummins on our route and they pulled the codes for me.

okay, thanks Swipular.
Rich, I took a 1.5 hour trip the day after I changed the water/fuel separator, and when we got to our destination it was still experiencing lost of power. So, I then found a shop that could cross reference a filter and purchased the baldwin BF1268 and installed it the same way and then on our departure back home the new filter did not make a difference. It was a terrible trip, trying to get up hills and try and maintain highway speed. So, the other day I again purchased the wix 33783 fuel water separator filter. installed it yesterday and test drove and it is still doing the same thing.
Rich, i decided to change the air filter after experiencing this problem, because I thought the old air filter was in need of change. I put a new fuel filter and air filter on yesterday.

Ok, so its possible that the first filter change introduced enough air into the system to cause the issue, and subsequent fuel filter changes wouldn’t correct this. I’m not familiar with your specific fuel aystem, but you may have to bleed each injector to solve the problem. I understand now that the air filter is unrelated.

I have a 340 Cummins and experienced power loss to the point of hardly moving at all. Had to be towed 125 miles to nearest facility. Come to find out my particulate filter was completely clogged. Anyone ever know of or considered doing a delete.

ok,
I will research and see if this is something I can perform myself.
Thanks for your help.
For the record! If the air bubble is big enough it will not clear itself. It acts like an air spring. Well I think old school, at the rail bleed there

You bleed at the injector???rails. In the past before electronic controls, you bled each injector.

Latest resources

Back