Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Justalfe

RVF Newbee
I am looking to purchase a new 1/2 ton pickup (Toyota Tundra 2022) when it comes out and also a travel trailer for the family.

Before I go buying anything, what trailers would you recommend I take a look at?

Or should I avoid the 1/2 ton ans go 3/4 ton?

You need to do some real analysis of your current camper want/ need and if you foresee upsizing campers in the next 5 years. If your needs outgrow your truck's capacity, it'll be a potentially pricey situation to upgrade. I have a 1/2 ton 5.5 bed and totally wish I held out and got at least a 3/4 and 6.5 bed minimum. We upgraded campers and now are probably undersized on the truck. In addition, our 3 kids only get bigger (and hence heavier) adding to the load.
Also keep in mind the carry capacity of the truck includes passenger weight plus tongue plus cargo. There's carry capacity as well as towing capacity that you need to ensure your truck handles.

I agree with Suprnova74, 3/4 ton will allow you many more options.
But a Tundra will pull some of the smaller/lighter TT's. You just need to do your research with weights.
Whatever you do, don't just take a salesperson word for it "that truck will pull this Trailer with no problem."
Biggest limiting factor is usually your payload (cargo carrying capacity) on the truck, not how much it states it can pull.
Also don't go by published 'dry weights' but use the gross amount the trailer can weigh cuz you never pull it empty except the first time you drive it home.
Good luck

I agree with Suprnova and kayakterp, hell I started in a 3/4 ton and now I'm in a one ton! ha ha.

My Chevy is the first truck I have ever had that the tow capacity is rated for the weak link of the rig. The engine works to tow 7000 lbs on a 1 ton truck.

This forum has a lot of links, data, discussions on truck capacity if you will just mine the data of past posts. If you do the mining you will understand what you need to do. You will know the bull from fact, and be on the road safely.

There are several Trailer towing guides published. They go into all of the variables. The weight of the trailer is just one of many. Just do an internet search and you will find lots of useful info. 3/4 ton is nice, expensive but not always necessary. I think the Tundras will tow 11 or 12000 lbs. depending on options.

Latest resources

Back