RV Length
37’
Chassis
Ford
Engine
V10
TOW/TOAD
None
Does anyone know if the 10W solar panel on the Newmars can be swapped out for a 100W panel or larger, without any other modifications?

I'm not sure why you would do that. It's meant to trickle charge your chassis batteries. Without a solar controller you're asking for trouble.

Ok thanks. I don't know anything about solar.

They can put out a lot of juice and if there is nothing managing that juice you can do harm or probably even start a fire. I've been having fun here in AZ utilizing my 10 x 180W panels on the roof that's pushing upwards of 90 AMPS down the wires. It is amazing how much power they can produce.

Hey Neal.... very jealous... Would love to get back out there and use my panels again. Not sure when... but someday.

Hey Neal.... very jealous... Would love to get back out there and use my panels again. Not sure when... but someday.
Hope soon Rich, was fun at ABQ.

Even your 10W panel probably has a charge controller between it and the battery. Check with the manufacturer or try to find it in the RV. It will have a Watts and an amp rating and so long as you stay within its rating you will be fine. A 100W panel will put out around 5 amps which is not a lot to worry about. The charge controller is designed to shunt off the current when the battery is at 100% SOC.

Charge controllers are cheap to buy and to install. The costly part is running the large gauge wiring from the controller to the battery as access is usually a problem post factory. There are also portable kits that include one or two panels, a charge controller, and a wire to use to connect to the RV. This 100 Watt TP-solar kit sells for $130 and includes the panel, charge controller, and cables.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S2B2QGV/?tag=rvf01-20

Does anyone know if the 10W solar panel on the Newmars can be swapped out for a 100W panel or larger, without any other modifications?
Hey @AbdRahim I have always been able to fish some wire behind the shower for solar.

Mine is already wired for solar. I was just wondering if one could do a direct swap without adding anything else. I was looking for a cheap easy way to spare the generator on the truck stop overnights. Perhaps I can experiment with unplugging for a night at a campground or seeing how far I can get through the night running the furnace without the generator. I n the summer I will have to use the genset for A/C.

Usually for heat I run the genset all night and use electric heaters to save on propane. I guess it is all a balancing act with these things.

Perhaps I can experiment with unplugging for a night at a campground or seeing how far I can get through the night running the furnace without the generator.

I think you missed the fact in the earlier post by @Neal that the 10W solar panel recharges the “chassis” batteries, not the house/coach batteries. Your furnace runs off the “house/coach batteries.” The “chassis batteries” are used to start the engine and provide power for chassis-related uses; e.g. wipers, lights, etc. They are not linked to the house/coach batteries.

Am I missing something here?

TJ

Latest resources

Back