Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Michael

RVF Newbee
Can I use a 115 V adapter from the 50 amp to plug into my wall just to charge the batteries and nothing else will the coach allow me to charge the batteries just using household voltage plugged into the 50 amp service?

Yes you can use a dog bone to plug your coach into a standard NEMA 5-15 outlet. You need to be careful that you don't try to pull more than a total of 15amps (or 20 depending on the circuit home circuit breaker). That's from the coach and anything else that may be plugged into that circuit. If you have a power management system in your coach then you should configure it so that it knows that 15 amp (or even 10 amps) is the maximum that it should allow to be utilized. Otherwise you will trip the breaker (or GFCI).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0188Y8L7S/?tag=rvf01-20

@Michael please fill out your profile when you get a chance and include your RV information. As @flyboy013 stated above yes, you can and it's great to have one on board. I needed one twice now and it's important to know how to configure your coach. In my coach I have the EMS which auto senses 50 and 30 amps but if I use lower I have to set the incoming voltage on the EMS. I also change the charge settings on the magnum control panel so there are two places you have to remember to change when using 15A and then when going back. I think EMS will auto recognize 50A but if you change your charge profile in the Magnum RC-50 (or ARC-50) you'll need to change it back. Maybe a yellow sticky note if needed for a reminder or masking tape, etc.

WELCOME to RVForums.

On my DS4369, I had to do just that...plug into a standard 15a outlet...with a VERY VERY sensitive GFCI! ?‍♂️

So, I stepped the 50a plug down to a 15a.

Then I set my Precision Control down to “SHORELINE = 15A”

This allowed me continuous service without issues.

@Michael please fill out your profile when you get a chance and include your RV information. As @flyboy013 stated above yes, you can and it's great to have one on board. I needed one twice now and it's important to know how to configure your coach. In my coach I have the EMS which auto senses 50 and 30 amps but if I use lower I have to set the incoming voltage on the EMS. I also change the charge settings on the magnum control panel so there are two places you have to remember to change when using 15A and then when going back. I think EMS will auto recognize 50A but if you change your charge profile in the Magnum RC-50 (or ARC-50) you'll need to change it back. Maybe a yellow sticky note if needed for a reminder or masking tape, etc.

WELCOME to RVForums.
Thanks and I did Fill out the info. Excited to be a part of your club. Just purchased a 3343. Your 2019 best regards Michael Rudnick

Thank you for answering my questions.
I’m going to go ahead and get the adapter. What other adapters would you recommend for my RV which has a 50 amp male plug do you suggest I also get a 50 amp to 30 amp also any other plugs that I might encounter in my travels. My coach is a 3343 New Aire
thank you
Michael Rudnick

As @Neal has stated there are two setting that need to be set. If I recall you have Silverleaf in the New Aire, so the changes will be made there. You need to configure it so that it knows that the max power available on a single phase connects is, say 15A. You also need to configure the charger breaker size so that the charger doesn’t try to pull too much power. I only learned about the need to make this change recently.

if your using the 15A dog bone at home merely for keeping the batteries charged, you may want to configure the circuit size to 10 volts or even less. It all depends what else you have on the circuit that you're plugged into. My coach pulls between 2.0 and 2.5 amps when it’s just sitting in the driveway.

In addition to the 15A to 50A dog bone, you should get a 30A to 50A dog bone. Many older campgrounds only have 30 amp service.

I also have a surge suppressor that I plug in at the pedestal. I believe you have the same robust automatic transfer switch (AGS) that I have, which has surge protection, having an inexpensive surge protector at the pedestal saves the much more expensive ATS ... and with the LEDs on the surge protector it’s easy to verify that the pedestal is wired correctly before you plug your coach in. This is what I have.

It's always good to reach out to your support group when you have an Amazon problem. So I'm saying Hi, my name is Neal, and here are three things I carry at all times for power, okay there is four, I just remembered, I need to go inpatient!

1) 50A to 30A - this obviously allows your coach to connect to a 30A connection via your 50A cord which your coach will handle just fine
2) 50A to 15A - I needed this when at Cummins for a week long service and I used it at one boondocking location when I went to do flight training, they had a 20A hookup which I was able to use when I didn't need air conditioners
3) 30A y-cord. At some locations you'll be on a 30A pedestal but that pedestal will have two 30A outlets as it's shared by two sites. If you don't have a neighbor you can use this y-cord to plug into both 30A outlets and that gives you 50A. I'm actually using this now while in storage but mostly for redundancy as I've had issues with breakers tripping but it's also giving my coach 50A
4) A 30A extension cord. I needed this once, I still carry it, but this allows you again to find that 2nd 30A connection to make 50A's or reach a pedestal that's too far away like one state park.

Latest resources

Back