RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Catalina Trail Blazer 26TH
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
For those of you (if any) that have one or more 12 volt outlets in your trailer, how useful do you find them. My Trail Blazer does not have any and I really have not missed them. We use 120 to charge our phones and really dont charge any thing else.

I have been thinking about installing one of these bit not sure if it is really needed. Let me know what you think.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TCKVD66/?tag=rvf01-20

I mounted a smaller one in the bedroom of our 2005 motorhome. There was not a 12v outlet back there, but there are 3 in the cab area. I needed one to power the wifi hub of our RVi3 brake system. I can also use it to power the cpap when dry camping, and the phone at night in the bedroom.
It has a 12v plug and two USB ports. Found it on Amazon too. Install was easy. There was just enough room next to the vanity light. There is a fuse panel in the cabinet above that had all sorts of fun wires to choose from!

I have two left of steering column, one is for GPS, the other BlackVue Dashcam. Otherwise 120V outlets with USB ports work well.

I have two left of steering column, one is for GPS, the other BlackVue Dashcam. Otherwise 120V outlets with USB ports work well.
I want to add a cigarette lighter type plug to the left of my steering wheel also. Where did you bring the 12v power from? If you have photos of your install, that would be good to see as well.

If I did it over again I wouldn't do it this way. I would get a 12V adapter and put it in the compartment over the driver's seat and plug the dashcam into that. There is no need to have it in the panel as I did. It all depends on your needs and desires but there are tons of 12V leads under the dash. Newmar put in the first one for me, I think he used the dash radio line, I piggy backed on that. I also ran a 12V line up the left A pillar to the compartment above the driver's side for my pepwave. Super simple, so much 12V in these coaches.

Here is what I installed in my basement, one is for the Dometic cooler in front right, the other is in the bay forward of my pegboard for my pellet grill. I added a 40A self resetting breaker behind the cord reel, ran a line across the coach, installed a 6 gang 12V box that these go into. But I digress, point is something like this can be easily installed in any cabinet if you have 12V sourced.

12vplugs.png

I hadn't considered coming from the overhead cabinet. So you mount your dashcam near the top of your windshield?

My dashcam is below the blue tint top center - yes. Best view from there. I run the cord towards the driver's side, it comes with adhesive clips to keep the wire in place, I then go down the A pillar and plugin left of steering wheel. Would never do it this way again. I have 12V in the overhead cabinet, I'd run the plug into there.

Thanks. That gives me another reason to dig into that overhead cabinet. I've been wanting to replace that huge Sony mess since I bought the mh.

I replaced mine with a slimline receiver (half the height). There was no 12V in mine, I ran a line up the A pillar into there, super easy and now you have 12V capability there.

Latest resources

Back