Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
As many know @Neal is the technical influencer to enhance our RV’s with lots of devices and I am trying to “Hard Wire” my dashcam and wondering if I can use the these to tap into 12 v power. I am not electrical but these seem like a good solution once I find the right wire that is related to the ignition to turn it on and off.

Wire Connectors - Low Voltage T Tap Wire Connectors, 3 Way Wire Connector, T Type 2 Pin Solder-less No Wire Stripping Required for LED Strip, Automotive Connection Fits 24-20 AWG 12 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07114RK67/?tag=rvf01-20

the technical influencer

I like that, others seem to have other names for me ?

I used 12V sockets to plug my GPS and Blackvue into which I added to the left of the steering column. I considered actually using rocker switches from OTRATTW which I did buy but have never used. Reason is these devices don't want you splicing wires and some have fuses built into the part that plugs into the 12V socket that's part of the device protection. The rocker switches would help me obviously turn them on/off like other things we have rocker switches for as I also added for my dash stereo as that's not meant to be always on like Newmar has them wired to be. So keep that in mind but don't want to de-influence you. The splicers can certainly work AFAIK as long as any polarity is honored but also keep in mind fuses and device protection.

20-24 AWG wire will be fine to run from the splice to the camera. However the wires you find in the coach to splice into will likely be larger than 20 AWG so they may be too big for the splice.

Those should work. After exploring around our BigBus we have found that Newmar uses 'suitcase' connectors when they need to tap a line for things like lights, gauges, etc. Click -->here<-- to see what Newmar uses for similar connections.

There is a 3M Scotchlok product 951, 952 & 953.
951 is for 18 to 22 AWG, color red
952 is for 14 to 18 AWG, color blue
953 is for 12 AWG, color yellow

they are unique and hard to describe, but they fold in half like a clam shell over the “run” wire. Once it’s closed, the tap wire has an insulated male quick connect crimped onto it. The quick connect then pushes into the clamshell. Very nice product. If you have a run of 18 gauge and a tap of 22, for example, no problem.
In the upper left is the back side of the connector. On the right is a male quick connector. On the bottom is the clamshell closed and locked with the male connector inserted
3BF7D245-66F3-427D-B4B8-DA5AD023CC7C.jpeg

Thanks for this info. Sadly I am such a rookie at this I don’t even know anything about wire gauge. I had no idea that even matters. This might be above my skill level. If you see california glowing anytime soon you will know why. It might be easier to let a professional put two 12v outlets somewhere near pilot seat.

Thanks for this info. Sadly I am such a rookie at this I don’t even know anything about wire gauge. I had no idea that even matters. This might be above my skill level. If you see california glowing anytime soon you will know why. It might be easier to let a professional put two 12v outlets somewhere near pilot seat.
OK, @sheridany, here's a quick tutorial on wire sizes.

- Wire size is measured in American Wire Gauge (AWG).
- The bigger the AWG number, the smaller the wire. So, #22 wire is smaller in diameter than #18.
- The bigger the AWG number, the lesser amount of amperage it can safely carry.
- The bigger the AWG number, the smaller the size of fuse used to protect the circuit.
- Most wires will have the AWG printed or embossed on them if you look closely. You may need a magnifying glass; I do. :ROFLMAO:

In looking at the specs for the BlackVue DR900S dash cam, it draws a maximum current of 1 Amp. The supplied power cord is marked "24 AWG." That is sufficient to supply 1A over a length of about 10' (just about the length of the cable).

AWG 22 wire will handle 1A of current at 13,8 VDC over a length of 17 feet with a maximum voltage drop of 2%. AWG 20 wire will extend that to 27 feet. So, any 12V wire sized AWG 20 or larger (smaller number, remember) would be fine for you to tap into for your dash cam power. Just be sure you know what else is being fed by that wire. I think most 12VDC power ports are fed with AWG 16 wire and fused at 7.5A or 10A. They are good to tap into.

One easy source for 12VDC power in our coaches is the trailer brake wire bundle at the bottom (usually on the right side) of the steering column. It usually contains a half-dozen wires with 2-3 wires of various sizes providing +12VDC. There is also a ground wire in the harness for the -12VDC connection. Not sure if any of them are on-off with the key, however.

You can tap a small wire into a larger one with no worries. (Tapping a large wire into a small one is problematic.). I have used that wire bundle for several 12VDC wiring projects.

TJ

Thanks @TJ&LadyDi that helps. I will have to do some exploring as we were looking on the left of the column.

The rocker switches would help me
Neal - do you know which rocker switch you bought for the dash stereo? I'm changing mine out now and would like to add a switch, but want it to be compatible with the others on the dash. Thanks!

Neal - do you know which rocker switch you bought for the dash stereo? I'm changing mine out now and would like to add a switch, but want it to be compatible with the others on the dash. Thanks!

I did not get one of these but probably should have. It's the back part of these things:

SKUProductItem priceQuantityTotal
L11AT-RADL-SERIES, RADIO, LOWER LED INDEPENDENT
Options:Custom Text 1:
DASH
Custom Text 2:
RADIO
LED Color:
AMBER / AMBER
$18.25 1$18.25

Latest resources

Back