• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Chet

RVF Regular
Howdy, thanks for letting me join!
I'm seriously thinking of buying the above rig, here's a few things I know about it.
Its a Cummins diesel and I think a freightliner chassis with Allison tranny.
I spoke with the owner, he said the air pressure drops from 120 about 15 lbs. when he applies the break but regains pressure, and is stopping correctly when moving a few feet. 12 forward and 12 backward.
He doesn't know if anything works, furnace, air, slide out , gen, refrigerator etc. Lights and wipers all work as they should.
I don't know the condition of the tires or roof. He said there is no delamination or leaks? I don't know if it has a jake break or not in that year?
56,000 miles. he's asking 9.500 no title.
Should I buy this? He is 4 hours away so before I take a trip like that I would like to have an idea what I'm getting into?
I don't want to spend more than its worth.
Thanks for any advice. Chet

One thing we did on our recent upgrade was hire an independent inspector to go through everything. Even though we bought new was nice having someone working for us to check everything out.

We found a master certified inspector and was about $1500 to have them go through the coach. They did find some things that would probably have been caught on the dealership PDI but worth the cost to us for peace of mind.

Something to think about if you do pursue the purchase.

Ahhhhhhh no title..???? Doesn't know if everything works ? Is that $9,500.00 to good to be true. Something stinks in Denmark.... Say no thank you.

Missed the no title part - that definitely raises a concern.

In Ca you can have the vin verified and a new title issued. Probably the same wherever you are. At the least confirm who the last registered owner was and make contact to be sure there wont be any problems getting a new title issued before you turn over the cash. It may not be the current seller. If it is, or is claimed to be, verify any documentation available with the seller’s ID. Also before you bother with getting a new title, check with your local DMV to see how much is owed in back fees - it could be significant. So some stuff to research. As to the rest, it’s probably a decent buy as long as there are no major issues but you wont know that until you get into it.

One of the first things we look at in our dealer is the sellers ownership papers. Registration (even expired) and the title proves ownership. No docs, no deal. We never get involved in a deal where ownership has any question at all.
To us neither age, condition, options or great deal ever outweighs paperwork issues.
Thank you,

…because “No title” can mean a lot of things besides a missing piece of paper.

In Ca you can have the vin verified and a new title issued. Probably the same wherever you are. At the least confirm who the last registered owner was and make contact to be sure there wont be any problems getting a new title issued before you turn over the cash. It may not be the current seller. If it is, or is claimed to be, verify any documentation available with the seller’s ID. Also before you bother with getting a new title, check with your local DMV to see how much is owed in back fees - it could be significant. So some stuff to research. As to the rest, it’s probably a decent buy as long as there are no major issues but you wont know that until you get into it.
Thanks, just went to DMV here in NYS and they said walk away! But I think I can get the vin# verified. the DMV said gotta have a way to verify ownership, he's got na da! not even a reg.

…because “No title” can mean a lot of things besides a missing piece of paper.
I know not even reg papers? I went to DMV office today and they said walk away. I MAY be able to do a search on the vin# to see if its stolen or has liens?

Latest resources

Back