Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

1998 Newmar Mountain Aire 34RKSA. Need advice on clearing title to sell for deceased parent.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

andy santospago

RVF Newbee
Hello,
My recently deceased father was the second owner of a 1998 Newmar Mountain Aire 34RKSA. It is still in great shape, but sadly since his illness it has been sitting in the yard.
I'm trying to help my mom move on and sell the trailer, but unfortunately my Dads business side was lacking. He has a title from the previous owner (also deceased) that shows he paid 14k for it in 2010. The RMV doesn't recognize the title or VIN. They think that my dad never registered the trailer and failed to pay the sales tax, which amounts to 975$. I would be willing to pay the tax, title and plate fee if I was confident that I could get a return on the investment. However, looking at the title application on the RMV i'm pretty sure I won't be able to verify the sellers info and proof of ownership. It would be great to sell the trailer for a few grand to help my mom out, who is now on a fixed income. However, it seems that getting the trailer official might not be possible. I also don't have a lot of bandwidth to deal with it, so as a last resort I may consider having someone haul it away as is - with the unclear title, etc. Does anyone have any advice for the best way to proceed here? Can you sell as-is without a clear title? Is getting a clear title easier than I think? Thank you very much!
Andy

Best to walk into your DMV and ask these questions. Ultimately, the state is the party that you have to satisfy as far as the legal concerns go.

I agree with @Retired but that may be hard during these times.
Maybe try sending a letter or talking to a dealer that does consignments. They’ll know exactly what they would need and might even know some folks that can cut the red tape as as they are all about units.

who is the executor of the estate? and who has the death certificates? You may have to go through probate.

I agree with @Retired but that may be hard during these times.
Maybe try sending a letter or talking to a dealer that does consignments. They’ll know exactly what they would need and might even know some folks that can cut the red tape as as they are all about units.
Thank you, great idea!

who is the executor of the estate? and who has the death certificates? You may have to go through probate.
Yes, good point. I have a death certificate, no executor - unless that is automatically my Mom. We haven't gone through the probate process, I am consulting with a lawyer about the ramifications on probate. Thank you!

Does your mom live in a community property state. If so it is hers. She may still need to go through probate depending on the laws about value of estate in your state. A disclaimer: I am not in a position to give legal advice, I am only giving you an opinion. You should consult with your lawyer in this matter.

Depending on the state reference probate. California has regulation that state if value of the personal property is less than $166,250 no probate required. This excludes real estate when figuring value. I just got title transfer on two vehicles which one still had my Mom on title and she passed away in 1997.

Good idea in having attorney versed in estate law help with advise.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back