Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DougK30

RVF Regular
So we made two trips from Ohio to lazydays Tampa to pick up our brand new 2022 Phaeton and still was not able to drive it home. The first trip we went to pick it up, there was a generator problem. It would start and run fine, but wouldn't transfer power to the coach. Then the next time we went to pick it up, it had a low tire (40 psi low) and check engine light was on. (Probably due to DEF fluid sending unit). My question is, is there anything I could or should do to make sure our service is getting handled properly. It seems that our dealers pre-check seems to be lacking, and now we are concerned about our service experience in general! Any help or advice would be appreciated.

If you’ve paid for it or entered into a contract, you are likely at the mercy of a typical chain dealer.
If you have not signed a contract wit them, I would run. Go to a local dealer, someone who still cares about customer service and you will likely have a much better experience.

If you’ve paid for it or entered into a contract, you are likely at the mercy of a typical chain dealer.
If you have not signed a contract wit them, I would run. Go to a local dealer, someone who still cares about customer service and you will likely have a much better experience.
That's the funny thing I kinda thought when we went to lazydays we would be getting away from the chain store bureaucracy. Silly me. After this experience I do have a better idea of where to buy from. Our only local dealers is a Camping world and a general rv. Also yes we have paid, and did all of the walk through stuff.

That's the funny thing I kinda thought when we went to lazydays we would be getting away from the chain store bureaucracy. Silly me. After this experience I do have a better idea of where to buy from. Our only local dealers is a Camping world and a general rv. Also yes we have paid, and did all of the walk through stuff.
It's often a good idea to have an independent inspector come out and go through the coach "before" you drive out to pick it up. Yes, you'll have to pay for that, but they'll find all the nonsense that needs to be fixed before you make the trip.

Be especially good if you could have the inspection before money changes hands, but that's not possible at this point.

Unfortunately this doesn’t surprise me a bit. Dealers sell so many lines of RVs they cant possibly be experts on all of them, and for the last couple years demand has stretched staff thin. And of course they wont turn down business even if they cant provide customer support after the sale. So I think you're just stuck with a crappy situation and all you can do is roll with it. You certainly don’t have much recourse, especially being an out of town buyer. The good news is that once you get this thing sorted, you’ll have a great coach and a lot of wonderful travels. I think if anyone gets an RV ready to roll at the time of purchase, its just luck. Theres almost always going to be issues with a new coach.

Check everything again when you go back to pick up the coach. Here are a couple of double checks. Here are some things that are missed.

If you have solar panels check your Spyder control panel make sure you are getting amps to your batteries.

Make sure you check your slide out trays in the bottom storage compartments for ease of movements. Check the screws holding down the floor covering on the tray. They protrude out the bottom.

Check your wires for hanging down or loose connections at the Solar controller, in bottom sliding bay.

Check your GFI electrical outlets, and your in house vac system. Especially look at your TPMS system for throwing codes. There was a recall on this also.

Check your back inner dual tire stems, there was a recall for the tire stems, they were replaced with metal ones.

Check your washer & dryer vent make sure it is connected and open. Also TEST ALL your pull down shades, and make sure your windows slide open.

Remember you always have Red Bay to fix things that your dealer can't. Its a pain in the butt but Tiffin will make it right.

HH

What is your plan to obtain service once you are in Ohio with your coach?

I had similar experience with selling dealer that abandoned us after the sale, and I was adopted by NIRVC. Have had very good experiences with them at various of their facilities on the things they have control of. All other statements on the thread apply, but NIRVC seems to try hard to take care of you no matter where you bought. They have a Nashville facility now, a lot closer to Ohio than Tampa. Just a thought.

By contrast, La Mesa in Tucson did oil changes on the engine and generator, tested everything, did a full service on the Oasis, filled the propane, flushed the tanks, washed the coach, had a cleaning crew go over the interior, (and probably some other stuff Im forgetting) and when I went out to see what was taking so long, I caught them installing all six new house batteries.

All without being asked!

I just went there to pick up the coach. They also paid my semi-local La Mesa dealership in Davis Ca to work on a slide after the sale, even though I bought it as is with no warranty.

Thats customer service and it really sets the good outfits apart from the rest.

Remember you always have Red Bay to fix things that your dealer can't. Its a pain in the butt but Tiffin will make it right.

HH
Yeah I think he’s headed there whether he plans on it now or not. Apparently there is some not-so-hidden meaning in the dealership name…

Latest resources

Back