• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mckenzieguy

RVF Newbee
Good day everyone,

So my wife and I purchased a 2002 Presidential fifth wheel last month. We finally got the 18k hitch installed and two days ago I brought it over to the house. Prior to that I had my electrician install a 50amp RV panel next to our meter base. The fifth wheel is located 60ft. from the RV box so I ordered a 50ft. extension online which is designed for such use. I currently have 50 amps and 240v at the 3 pole 4 wire connection outside, plus 240v at the 50amp breaker in the ac panel.

Here is my problem and most likely I'm missing something. None of my appliances that run off the panel are working. I checked the amps comming into the 50 main and it's correct, but I'm getting low amps on every other 120v breakers..

The prior owner is trustworthy and have known for years and said he never had issues, just locked it in place and boom power. Our previous travel trailer, 120v was the same, pug in and away you go.

Am I missing something in these Presidential fifth wheels?? BTW. my electrician is coming tomorrow to take a look. The RV dealer who installed the patriot hitch is two months out on any service appointments.

Thank you.

I suspect your electrician wired it like a dryer or electric range connection and not an RV hookup. There is a difference. Your 50A service to the RV is actually two parallel 120V circuits rather than a conventional 240V plugin. Hopefully, your electrician will be able to figure out the difference. It may be as simple as sorting out the neutral and ground wire connections in the 50A box.

Edit: It could also be that your “extension cord” is not designed for RV use.

Good luck.

TJ

I suspect your electrician wired it like a dryer or electric range connection and not an RV hookup. There is a difference. Your 50A service to the RV is actually two parallel 120V circuits rather than a conventional 240V plugin. Hopefully, your electrician will be able to figure out the difference. It may be as simple as sorting out the neutral and ground wire connections in the 50A box.

Edit: It could also be that your “extension cord” is not designed for RV use.

Good luck.

TJ
Wow that is confusing. So how far back did the NEC require ground and neutral be separate wires? I say that unless the electrician is really a handyman the circuit is 4wire. If not 4wire a real electrician should be called in to do the job right.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back