• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RamblinFam

RVF Regular
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, I'm hoping this post is landing in the right place. I'm planning to look at a 2008 Sightseer 35J on Friday that if all goes right, I plan to purchase. The coach is low miles for its age - 12,000 to be precise. The listing had some inconsistencies - it was listed as a Workhorse chasis, but saw a pic with Ford on the steering wheel in the listing. The listing also mentioned that the rubber roof was replaced with a fiberglass roof. If my research is correct, the original roof would have been fiberglass. When I pressed the dealer, he said he looked into the matter and the original fiberglass roof was replaced with a rubber roof about a year ago.

I had the guy do a walk-through of the vehicle for me on FaceTime, to include having him go up on the roof and the roof looked good. He's been great. Why the roof is replaced is a mystery. He's going to send me some better pics of the roof tomorrow. Would it be common to replace the original fiberglass roof (if damaged) with a rubber roof? Should I be concerned?

I also noticed the following on the inside liner. Not sure what to make of it? I presume the original roof may have leaked warranting the replacement. Does anyone have any thoughts on what they see in the pics?

Thanks in advance. The coach is about 300 miles from where I live so I'm trying to do as much dilligence before I make the trip.

Regards and thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_4148.jpeg
    IMG_4148.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1846.jpeg
    IMG_1846.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 18
You might consider having an inspection by a certified RV inspector look the coach over for you, cost is approximately $400-500.

You might consider having an inspection by a certified RV inspector look the coach over for you, cost is approximately $400-500.
Thanks for that. I was going to ask how one finds a certified RV inspector, a quick google revealed NRVIA. I will make some outreach calls. Thanks for that tip!

@NWIP is right on the mark...as usual; have a qualified inspector check out the coach. That's the best money you will ever spend on an RV.

From the photos, it is obvious that the coach has had water intrusion at some point. The bigger question (besides the roof integrity, of course) is how much hidden damage is there? I don't know anything about this particular coach's construction, but if there is wood framing of any sort it could well be rotted. Same with the floor. And, you should have the coach checked for mold. Water inside frequently results in mold.

I don't know what the price is and how much work you are willing to do on the coach, but from what little I have seen in the photos, I wouldn't walk away from this deal...I would RUN! I'm betting a qualified inspector will uncover a lot of expensive problems. YMMV

Good luck.

TJ

@NWIP is right on the mark...as usual; have a qualified inspector check out the coach. That's the best money you will ever spend on an RV.

From the photos, it is obvious that the coach has had water intrusion at some point. The bigger question (besides the roof integrity, of course) is how much hidden damage is there? I don't know anything about this particular coach's construction, but if there is wood framing of any sort it could well be rotted. Same with the floor. And, you should have the coach checked for mold. Water inside frequently results in mold.

I don't know what the price is and how much work you are willing to do on the coach, but from what little I have seen in the photos, I wouldn't walk away from this deal...I would RUN! I'm betting a qualified inspector will uncover a lot of expensive problems. YMMV

Good luck.

TJ
I posted on a specific Winnebago forum and I got similar response. I also called an inspector and his one question was, "why would someone replace a fiberglass roof with an inferior product." The hunt continues.

Latest resources

Back