• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Forrestrivertodd

RVF Regular
hoping for help

Traveling today. Hit an unexpectedly rough railroad track in Georgia.

Ever since, whenever i get up over 60 or so, the motorhome rocks, sways, back and forth like a metronome set on 80. Not really vibrating. It got a little scary a couple if times on the interstate. At one point i was afraid i may lose control.

I climbed underneath to inspect. The springs look ok. The shock absorbers too.

Need help diagnosing this. Kids and wife spooked. My phone number is (850) 687-8072. Please reply here or text me if easier.

Sounds like you broke something and it wouldnt be the sway bars since they don't come into play unless you are turning. You could have broken a leaf spring or spring mount that isn’t visible during a basic inspection. The thing to do now is get it on an alignment rack where anything thats off will show up and a better suspension inspection is possible.

I agree with Rich, sounds like you broke a spring or mount, that will allow the rocking motion

I agree with Rich, sounds like you broke a spring or mount, that will allow the rocking motion

It turned out to be the rear drivers side sway bracket clamp. It broke clean off.

I rigged up something to get me home but i dont know how ill find the replacement clamp. I tried every store and looked online.

The replacement should look something like this.

Attachments

• ED22A16A-576C-4F76-B70F-0B01C1B2C074.jpeg
    ED22A16A-576C-4F76-B70F-0B01C1B2C074.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 8D67E59F-58AF-4F65-A06C-997624D3CBC8.png
    8D67E59F-58AF-4F65-A06C-997624D3CBC8.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
It turned out to be the rear drivers side sway bracket clamp. It broke clean off.

I rigged up something to get me home but i dont know how ill find the replacement clamp. I tried every store and looked online.

The replacement should look something like this.
Hopefully thats all it is but a rear sway bar mount shouldn't cause your handling issue you described. Did the problem go away after addressing it?

well if it is the only thing it will be cheap to fix

I doubt that's all it is. But hope you are right. Use the levelers on the rear to raise the coach, but not to where the tires are off ground. Also block the front wheels in front and back to ensure against roll.

With the weight off the springs look carefully at the leaves for cracks. Also check the links that mount the springs to the chassis for damage.

I also recommend an additional sway bar for the rear. It installs additionally to the factory one. I installed one and love it. It has corrected all the weaving when a semi passes you. The coach no longer is pulled toward the semi and then pushed away.( due to the pressure differences when he passes.) Less sway and handles much better in wind.

Good luck.

Sounds like you broke something and it wouldnt be the sway bars since they don't come into play unless you are turning. You could have broken a leaf spring or spring mount that isn’t visible during a basic inspection. The thing to do now is get it on an alignment rack where anything thats off will show up and a better suspension inspection is possible.
I disagree, Rich. A sway bar reduces exactly what the OP is complaining about. It allows for softer spring rates (better ride) with more stability.
The torsion on the sway bar equalizes some of the offset weight to the spring on the other side of the “sway”, i.e. the outside of the turn. They do the same thing in crosswinds, centrifugal force or any condition that will shift weight side to side.

Latest resources

Back