Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Thepenman

RVF Newbee

I have an decision to make. Purchase a 2020 Ventana with 5,00 miles and with most of the bells and whistles or a 2018 Dutch Star with 11,000 miles. Both are 40’ with the tag axel. I test drove both. I feel the Ventana front “bounced” like a cars wheels r not balanced. Similar to a Entegra I rented this summer. The Dutch Star was smooth to an rv. Both are in FANTASTIC shape. But new is new in the ventana. So it’s in cleaner shape. 360° parking is very nice to have in the ventana. The Dutch has other options that are really nice to have as well. Like electric shades. Heated floors. Refrigerator in the garage. Dutch has Spartan frame. Ventana has freight liner. The ventana is $10,000 more. I’d appreciate opinions. Thanks in advance. Jonathan.

I really think no matter what anyone says here YOU have to decide. Floor plan is most important. I think you know the answer but if you really want opinions others can have at it. I just hate swaying decisions like this as you may regret not trusting your instincts.

Either way, there’s not really a terrible choice here. Both are very nice coaches.

I'd go with the Dutch Star if you think they are equal. Side radiator for me and a few more HP. The side radiator will run much cooler in the mountains than the Ventana.

I've been over the tallest of mountains in the US, probably most mountains in the US, never had any issues with cooling, must my personal experience.

It probably comes down to:
  • Do you care about carpet or not?
  • Do you care about side vs. rear radiator? (and lost storage compartments with side radiator)
  • Do care about front suspension having IFS
  • The bounce you described in the front is not normal, may have bad shocks which would be taken care of under warranty by Freightliner
  • Do you care about chassis manufacturers
  • Heated floors, for those that have them, they swear by them
  • 2020 vs 2018, I think Newmar made improvements in basement size in 2020, not sure if that applies to Ventana or if I have the year correct as to when this occurred, also a 2 year newer coach but that may not outweigh other differences above.
My bets are on the Dutch Star, it is the most popular model by Newmar.

Latest resources

Back