Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mobster

RVF Regular
We just bought a 2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 220 QB (used with 16000 miles) I am hoping there are others out there with this model that can help. I just bought it and am learning! It may have some slight differences as it was sold originally to a rental outfit. The manuals and videos supplied by Coachmen are general in nature and I do not have some of the "access panels" they picture. I have found the low point drain valves and there are four of them instead of the three shown in most pictures and videos. Can anyone tell me what each of them are for? I cannot find the water heater "bypass". Anyone know where that is on this model? Also cannot find any fresh water shutoff. I know that is a lot of questions but if anyone has the same model and can help with winterizing ....I would greatly appreciate it.

Not familiar with your make or model but if you can provide pictures of your drains location we might be able help identify. Hot water heater may not have bypass but would be located near the heater, possibly underneath.

Not familiar with your make or model but if you can provide pictures of your drains location we might be able help identify. Hot water heater may not have bypass but would be located near the heater, possibly underneath.
Ok. The first picture is of the 4 "low point drain valves". The second is the under sink drain. The hot water tank is behind that and the only access I can see is the outside access that is in the third photo. Does that tell you anything?

Attachments

• 1007201144.jpg
    1007201144.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 1007201144b.jpg
    1007201144b.jpg
    941.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 1007201148a.jpg
    1007201148a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48
In your first picture, the low point drains you want to ope and drain. Once those are fully drained, close them again. Third picture shows the water heater and there is a white plug that you remove to drain the water out o the water heater. Underneath the water heater there may or may not be a bypass. If there is you want to bypass the water heater prior to putting anti freeze in. If you have any water filters remove those.

When I winterized in NY I would drain everything, blowout the lines and put anti freeze in all the sink, shower drain and called it good. I used a gallon making sure the drains were full of anti freeze. Never had a problem.

if you can take a picture under the water heater and the wet bay might be able to give more info on the water heater bypass or if you have a way to fill entire water system with anti freeze.

Thanks for your info. I figured that I needed to open the four low point drains. The manuals and videos from Coachmen are very general and while they reference both a "fresh water shutoff" and a "water heater bypass", I do not find either, maybe my model does not have them. You had asked for a picture of a "wet bay"? I do not have one. If I drain everything I can and then fill with RV anti-freeze, I am not understanding why everything references the water heater bypass and why that even needs to be turned on?

The water heater "bypass" allows you to keep the RV antifreeze out of the tank itself. Otherwise, you would need several gallons more antifreeze to fill all the lines and the tank. With the bypass, you can simply drain the water heater tank and still circulate antifreeze through the lines leading to and from it.

TJ

Last edited:
In your first picture, the low point drains you want to ope and drain. Once those are fully drained, close them again. Third picture shows the water heater and there is a white plug that you remove to drain the water out o the water heater. Underneath the water heater there may or may not be a bypass. If there is you want to bypass the water heater prior to putting anti freeze in. If you have any water filters remove those.

When I winterized in NY I would drain everything, blowout the lines and put anti freeze in all the sink, shower drain and called it good. I used a gallon making sure the drains were full of anti freeze. Never had a problem.

if you can take a picture under the water heater and the wet bay might be able to give more info on the water heater bypass or if you have a way to fill entire water system with anti freeze.

Your post has helped me not overthink this winterizing thing. I am going to follow your simple ("winterizing in NY") method. I have the compressor and fittings to "blowout the lines" (through the public water inlet on the motorhome?)BUT I want to ask if that would do any harm to the water pump or hot water heater? (I do not seem to have bypass valves for either of those). Can I just drain and blow out through public water inlet? (<30 lbs pressure)

The hot water heater bypass valve(s) are in the coach hidden under a cabinet somewhere. I access mine by taking out a drawer under the kitchen sink.

Latest resources

Back