Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

donttellmax

RVF Regular
Been living in a brand new Winnebago Vita Class C for about 6 weeks. I *should* have done my homework beforehand, but circumstances were such that I quit my job, purchased the rig and sold my house within a month. I'm learning things the hard way, on the road.

A few things about the rig are bugging me:

1. The black tank indicator has been reading 1/3-2/3 full, even after emptying. It varies depending on whether or not I'm on a level surface. Sometimes after a drive on a bumpy road the level will read lower. There doesn't seem to be a clog. I'm using the special toilet paper. I have not been able to rinse the black tank the last two times it's been emptied. Just not sure what's going on. Maybe a piece of poo stuck to the sensor? It would be nice to gauge when the tank is getting full, though I know it's about 7-10 days for me.

2. The rig has a Zamp 12v/30 amp solar system with two 100w panels, two sla batteries and a 1000w inverter. It's not enough. I was told that by the dealer. I'm learning to live with it until I can upgrade, running the generator for a while each day to charge the battery enough to last through the night. The charge controller is perplexing, though, and seemingly very inaccurate in terms of monitoring the battery. Sometimes it says I have 25 amp hours stored and it lasts all night. Other times it says I have 70+ amp hours and it only lasts a couple hours. I'd like some indication of the actual charge in order to know how long to run the generator. Right now I'm just winging it. Short of replacement, any ideas?

3. Yesterday the awning motor seemed to stick for a minute, then started working again. It retracted fine before bed, now won't extend. I checked fuses, breakers, got on the roof and tried to shake things loose, to no avail. Frustrating. Will probably need to phone Winnebago and possibly find my nearest dealer. Just wonder if anyone has an idea what else to check. It's still warm near Bryce Canyon and the awning really helps.

Thanks!

Josh

Hi @donttellmax , Just the word new is frustrating to me?. Anyhow It looks to me you are a man after my own heart, both feet in. Most sensors I have seen for holding tanks are nothing more than screws drilled into the side of the holding tank. Tell me, when you look down the hole in the head can you see the holding tank? If you can buy a "wand" that you can hook up to a hose that is designed to spray to the sides of the tank. A little time and vola the sensors will work again. We use toilet paper just don't put it down the head. The toilet paper gets wet and stays that way. If it fails to go in the flush it can cover a sensor/screw and give false readings.

As far as solar I tell people they can't have enough. At the small side I stick with 500w on the roof min. 30a solar controller is good for 700 w on the roof but your pushing the controller. Using the generator first thing in the morning will do the bulk charging and leave the solar to trickle charge. I like voltage, forget any other reading unless a lot of money was spent on battery management. full battery is 12.67 volts with the sun down at least a few hours.

As far as the awning goes keep this one word in mind, "Warranty", Let the dealer fix it.

Hi @donttellmax , Just the word new is frustrating to me?. Anyhow It looks to me you are a man after my own heart, both feet in. Most sensors I have seen for holding tanks are nothing more than screws drilled into the side of the holding tank. Tell me, when you look down the hole in the head can you see the holding tank? If you can buy a "wand" that you can hook up to a hose that is designed to spray to the sides of the tank. A little time and vola the sensors will work again. We use toilet paper just don't put it down the head. The toilet paper gets wet and stays that way. If it fails to go in the flush it can cover a sensor/screw and give false readings.

As far as solar I tell people they can't have enough. At the small side I stick with 500w on the roof min. 30a solar controller is good for 700 w on the roof but your pushing the controller. Using the generator first thing in the morning will do the bulk charging and leave the solar to trickle charge. I like voltage, forget any other reading unless a lot of money was spent on battery management. full battery is 12.67 volts with the sun down at least a few hours.

As far as the awning goes keep this one word in mind, "Warranty", Let the dealer fix it.

Thanks! I figured it was a dirty sensor issue in the holding tank. It has a built in spray nozzle which I haven't been able to use. Guess I gotta use it :). There's room for more panels. Think I'll start with another 190 watts, go from there. Lithium batteries would be nice, eventually.

The awning started working again. I think, and I could be wrong, the battery didn't have enough juice to operate that motor. The step was malfunctioning, too, retracting even though I'd locked it open. Both worked after another hour or so.

Another weirdness I forgot, the manual says the house batteries will charge from the alternator, but don't seem to do so. Someone said I should be able to find a relay somewhere for that, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

FIY you can't mix and match panels. You have 2 100 watt panels and unless you put in a second controller you will need to stick with 100w panels with same VOC (voltage open circuit).
I repeat myself. the word new hits a nerve every time I hear it. mess with wiring or mechanical stuff void warranty. Or at least take that chance. Both New and Warranty both sound like you are saying "the devil you say". Many have lost months of the warranty period to shop time, I would rather buy used without warranty and fix it in a day or so. So back to the relay/??? used to switch in the house bank to the charging circuit. let the dealer fix it.

One of the common methods of keeping sensors clear is to fill the tanks to about 1//3 and add Dawn dishwashing liquid and drive around for 100 miles or so. I always leave the campground with this. When I get to the next I dump and rinse. Now, I do not do #2 in the rig unless it is an emergency, but the sensors still misbehave. While camping, I occassionally put several rings of Dawn around the toilet bowl and let it wash down as I use the toilet. Keeping sensors clean requires constant preventative maintenance.

FIY you can't mix and match panels. You have 2 100 watt panels and unless you put in a second controller you will need to stick with 100w panels with same VOC (voltage open circuit).
I repeat myself. the word new hits a nerve every time I hear it. mess with wiring or mechanical stuff void warranty. Or at least take that chance. Both New and Warranty both sound like you are saying "the devil you say". Many have lost months of the warranty period to shop time, I would rather buy used without warranty and fix it in a day or so. So back to the relay/??? used to switch in the house bank to the charging circuit. let the dealer fix it.

Got it. I understand letting the dealer fix things. Just trying to understand what's going on. Appreciate any advice.

I initially checked with AMSOLAR who wanted to sell me a 190 watt Zamp split panel. He said it would work with my system. I haven't done anything yet. Just learning and gathering info.

My current thinking is to add two cheap 100W flex panels due to their ease of installation and value. Any thoughts on that? Understand I'd either need adaptors, or re-wire the appropriate connectors, neither of which is beyond my comprehension. The thought of drilling holes and installing tilt mounts is not beyond my comprehension, yet I'd like to keep it simple. Getting the darn panels shipped to me may be challenging enough.

flexible panels have positive and negative attributes.
for the positive points.

very light weight, they can be mounted using double back tape. no aerodynamic problems.

Negative points.

no frame so they must be mounted on a surface.

Solar panels get hot. air movement on the underside helps keep them cool. cool panels produce better. Air space creates shade for the roof and will keep the inside cooler.

If you are buying from aliexpress.com then many times they come as a kit that includes a controller, that I must admit for cheap controller does a fairly good job. many times the shipping is free but pay for fedex or other service like dhl so delivery is much quicker.

I would consider a panel from San Tan solar and a controller from aliexpress.com I use the PowMr controllers.(MPPT).
San Tan solar has 250w panels for $50 each, add a 60acontroller from PowMr for 50 plus shipping and that makes for a good deal.

20200927_064820 (1).jpg

You will notice the panels are mounted to angle that spans the roof, I don't like adding holes to the roof.
Notice the shade the panels supply.

Oh yah. I forgot, the panels don't tilt they stay that way all the time.

San Tan solar has 250w panels for $50 each, add a 60acontroller from PowMr for 50 plus shipping and that makes for a good deal.
In my opinion, that's really a good price! I bought 12-24 volt, 240 watt panels a few years ago and the price was considerably more than that.

Oh yah. I forgot, the panels don't tilt they stay that way all the time.
You don't worry about them flying off to parts unknown?

Latest resources

Back