Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JDK Bay Star

RVF Regular
2022 Bay Stars do not come equipped with 12V hot wire to power toad brake systems like the Patriot brake system. The Ford F53 chassis tow bar receptacle does not include the hot wire.

No feedback from Newmar as to why other other than change was made mid 2021.

Had to have hot wire installed in our Bay Star 3014 by RV dealer.

We had a 2019 Canyon Star, research I did around this issue showed that Newmar has the feed wire available in the loom under dash, just doesn't connect up during build. There are many threads in other forums (sorry Neal) around this issue.

j

It’s not a Bay Star or even a Newmar issue. Its Ford, and not just the E series but F series as well.

I am new here. We just purchased a Bay Star 3408. We have been RVing for many years and are now downsizing but still want to roll with comfort and some space. We were Tiffin people but have heard good things about the Newmar product.

I might be wrong but I though that Ford built the chassis to Newmar's requirement? Ford might not understand RVers needs but Newmar is in the business of understanding RVers needs for a lot of years. My comment here is because I just spent quite a few hours running a 12VDC line from the front to the back. Seems so unnecessary when Newmar has such easy access prior to adding the house to the chassis. Maybe I am out of touch and there is no longer an interest in feeding 12VDC to the toad for a battery charger.... Also I am going to power my Tire Minder booster with the same line. On the plus side I got a great view of the undersides stem to stern.

It is correct that it is how Ford is supplying the chassis now. As mentioned the wire is at the dash and just needs to be hooked up. Ford must feel that it is safer to not have power at the plug unless the specific owner needs it

It is correct that it is how Ford is supplying the chassis now. As mentioned the wire is at the dash and just needs to be hooked up. Ford must feel that it is safer to not have power at the plug unless the specific owner needs it
I looked at both ends and was not able to find a wire that could be used. If its there it was not obvious to me. On both our Phaeton and Allegro Bus we found the wire that they left. I checked voltage at the 7 way and no 12VDC. So moved on. Thanks for the reply.

On my 2017 F250 there is a listed slot for a relay in the fuse block for it, but not only is there no relay in the slot, but no electrical connections in the fuse block so you can’t even plug a relay in without adding and wiring the connections first. Easier to just run your own like Steve did. Seems lame to me but that’s a Ford decision. Newmar buys the F53 chassis in relative bulk but I doubt they are big enough to custom order wiring changes.

I am new here. We just purchased a Bay Star 3408. We have been RVing for many years and are now downsizing but still want to roll with comfort and some space. We were Tiffin people but have heard good things about the Newmar product.

I might be wrong but I though that Ford built the chassis to Newmar's requirement? Ford might not understand RVers needs but Newmar is in the business of understanding RVers needs for a lot of years. My comment here is because I just spent quite a few hours running a 12VDC line from the front to the back. Seems so unnecessary when Newmar has such easy access prior to adding the house to the chassis. Maybe I am out of touch and there is no longer an interest in feeding 12VDC to the toad for a battery charger.... Also I am going to power my Tire Minder booster with the same line. On the plus side I got a great view of the undersides stem to stern.
My sentiments exactly ... Newmar will not disclose their rationale for not including the toad hot wire mid 2021 ...

I don't have the skills to do what you did so had to pay my RV dealer to do it.

I need to do the same with my Tire Minder ... do you have a picture of where you mad the connection?

Have not yet mounted the Tire Minder Booster. Going to wait until the tow bar base plate is installed and I receive the mounting materials. At that point I'll have to make location decision. On our Bus I wired it to the outside edge of the rear engine compartment ventilation screen toward the tail light. Worked there for five years. So will probably do something like that. Also I have seen them mounted in the rear closet taping 12VDC from the closet light. Does not draw much current but I'll fuse it anyway. Hopefully all this will be accomplished in a couple of weeks.

Latest resources

Back