Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Fueco

RVF Supporter
I tried plugging our travel trailer in to our garage outlet using a 30>15 power adapter. Is it normal for this to trip the circuit breaker in the house if I run the A/C in the trailer while it’s plugged in?

Yes. This is not a 30 watt to 15 watt adapter. It is simply a plug adapter that allows your 30 Amp plug to be plugged into a 15 Amp socket.
In my old 5er that used a 30A cable/plug, I could run a light or two and the A/C on a 15 amp circuit. If I turned on too many lights or the microwave, the breaker popped. This is normal. Your A/C is pulling more than 15 Amps on startup.

So, it should be fine as long as I don’t run the AC or microwave?

Probably. You might be able to run the micro, or maybe the A/C on low cool. Mine does, anyway, and it's hooked to a 15amp breaker in the garage.

Roger

Thanks @GTS225

I’m not well versed in electronics, but am trying to learn everything I can.

While I agree with others that you should be able to run your AC from a 15amp service, you say it trips the breaker. That raises the question of what else is on the garage circuit. Refrigerator, freezer, washer, etc.

In monitoring the system in our TT, with the AC running and the microwave and the converter, we are at 26 to 28 amps. That is about max for a 30 amp service. Certainly, a 15 amp breaker won't handle that load. Choose one or the other but not both.

It is best to install or have installed a proper 30 amp RV outlet. Problem solved. I installed my own, but I am rather versed in electricity and the NEC code for such to be legal.

Bob

Bob's right......I failed to think along the lines of what else might be powered off your 15 amp breaker. In my case, it's a detached garage with a 50 amp service from the house. Only lights and outlets,and nothing else is turned on at the time.

Thanks. I’ll look into getting a dedicated outlet in the garage. It’d be nice to be able to use the trailer as a guest house.

Thanks. I’ll look into getting a dedicated outlet in the garage. It’d be nice to be able to use the trailer as a guest house.
Yes, it would come in handy. However, you might want to check your local ordinances, or bylaws if an HOA might have jurisdiction.

Roger

Yes, it would come in handy. However, you might want to check your local ordinances, or bylaws if an HOA might have jurisdiction.

Roger

We’re fortunate to live in a house with no HOA or city ordinances. Boulder County is pretty easy to deal with. :)

Latest resources

Back