Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
Still learning. If I have a 5th wheel that is 50 amp but the park only has 30 what will I not be able to do?

You'll have to manage the electrical loads as obviously you'll only have half the power.

You'll have to manage the electrical loads as obviously you'll only have half the power.
You’ll have righty a third ish of the power. You’ll use an adaptor and manage your loads accordingly. Not a big deal. Just have to be smart about it. Worst that happens you blow the pedestal breaker and start over.

Using only one AC unit or heat pump at a time, everything else should function. Just manage the big power users such as elec water heat, cook top, clothes dryer etc so you aren’t trying to pull more than 30 amps.

I frequently stay in parks with 30 amps only (mostly state and local parks) and it is perfectly manageable, but I use my Oasis for room and water heat and have a propane cook top. You probably have a propane furnace and water heater which will keep it manageable.

If I need 50 amps I‘ll find a private RV park, although some public parks have 50, or run the genny if necessary, but this rarely occurs. Traveling in the South in the summer would be an example.

Last edited:
This might be useful

If you don't have a "dog bone" you need to get one. It's available at most RV stores, Walmart and Amazon. It's just something you'll need to keep in the RV.

Major thing to remember is a "50AMP" RV has 2 50amp power lines coming into it for a grand total of 100amps. A "30AMP" RV has 1 power line with 30amps grand total so there is a big difference in how much power is available.

30 Amp Male to 50 Amp Female Dogbone​

Amazon Dog Bone

If you don't have a "dog bone" you need to get one. It's available at most RV stores, Walmart and Amazon. It's just something you'll need to keep in the RV.

Major thing to remember is a "50AMP" RV has 2 50amp power lines coming into it for a grand total of 100amps. A "30AMP" RV has 1 power line with 30amps grand total so there is a big difference in how much power is available.

Amazon Dog Bone
A 50 amp 240 V service is 12.0KW while a 30 amp 120 V service is 3.6KW. If one uses a 50A to 30A adapter, then only 3.6KW is available based on the rating of the adapter. On the other hand, if one uses a 30 A to 50 A adapter, then again only 3.6KW is available based on the rating of the adapter. If your RV has provision for two 30 A service cords, the advantage is to use 50 A to two 30 A adapters for 7.2KW of power. The formula is VOLTS times AMP equal WATTS. E x I = P

Never exceed the current rating of the smallest device in the line.

Amazon Dog Bone
Not exactly true. The maximum current from a 50A service is 50 amps. Yes, you have two 50 A lines but still, the maximum current is 50 amps. A 50 A service measured to neutral is 120 volts or 6000 watts. E x I = P

Latest resources

Back