Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

rcurtis226

RVF Regular
Hello everyone. We're ready to get back in the rv world. Last time was 2008. I had a 2008 f350 long bed 1 ton and pulling a 12,000 cedar creek. We experienced some sway when semis and 30 mph winds blew through the rockies, and I'm wondering if I should expect the same thing unless I buy a dually. Has today's srw 1 ton pickups improved when it comes to sway and jolting as we pull a 13 to 15k 5th wheel?

Welcome to RVForums @rcurtis226 and welcome back to the RV Lifestyle.

Welcome @rcurtis226 to the forum. There are others with experience pulling 5th wheels and can answer your question. I have no experience but glad you’ve joined.

We had a F350 SRW and for the most part it was alright but like you said in winds and with trucks passing it moved a good bit.

Last year we were looking at moving up to a better and naturally heavier 5th wheel. I had decided on the F450 primarily due to the brakes and turning radius, I think it would have been a much better choice for me then a F350 DRW. The more I thought about my daily driver being a dually in Dallas/Ft. Worth the less I liked it.

I started looking at used MH's in the same budget and we ended up with a 2013 Dutch Star and a F-150 for about the same money. Having a F150 as my daily is wonderful.

Welcome! Not sure how much the suspension has changed since back then on 1 ton SRW trucks. We started full timing with a 2012 F350 SRW pulling a 39' fiver. I got "pushed" around a little on very windy days. I installed air bags in the first year on the rear of the truck and it helped a lot. We are going through a transition back from a DP to a fiver currently and I am probably going to stick with a single rear wheel 1 ton F350.

Good to know the air bags helped. I have a 16 gmc 3500 denali, srw, that I really like and its almost paid off. Really don't want to buy a new dually. Do you tow through the mountains? I guess the only challenge if I keep my truck is finding a 39ish foot long or bigger 5er that weighs less than 17k. We want to head to Alaska with it

Welcome! Not sure how much the suspension has changed since back then on 1 ton SRW trucks. We started full timing with a 2012 F350 SRW pulling a 39' fiver. I got "pushed" around a little on very windy days. I installed air bags in the first year on the rear of the truck and it helped a lot. We are going through a transition back from a DP to a fiver currently and I am probably going to stick with a single rear wheel 1 ton F350.
How much does your 5er weigh

Latest resources

Back