Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Nomad_Haabs

RVF Regular
If we purchase a truck that is not “prepped for 5th wheel” from the factory, what exactly do we need to get done in order to accommodate the fifth wheel? Who does what needs to be done and how much should it cost?

In other words, in order to go pick up the new 5th wheel at the dealer, what do I need to do to my truck in order to make that happen?

You don't say what brand of truck you drive or even what size it is so it's kind of hard to help you with specific answers. I looked at your profile but there is nothing there either.

In general, you can go to a place like Trucks and Trailers USA in Chattanooga, TN and they will install everything you need in one stop. Lots of RV dealers will do the same thing in their service department. If you drive a Ram 3500 it may have the "5th wheel prep package". If it does, all you have to do is buy the 5th wheel and bolt it in. You can buy it from Mopar or go to one of the above places to buy your 5th wheel. OR you can buy the 5th wheel and all the brackets from the internet and do the work yourself. eTrailers.com is a good place to start. Good luck!

We are in the process of purchasing a truck. Looking at either a F350 or Ram 3500 both DRW. The selection of trucks we have to choose from do not have the 5th wheel prep package. We were trying to decide if it would be be better to have it done at the dealer we purchase the truck from or cheaper elsewhere.

We are in the process of purchasing a truck. Looking at either a F350 or Ram 3500 both DRW. The selection of trucks we have to choose from do not have the 5th wheel prep package. We were trying to decide if it would be be better to have it done at the dealer we purchase the truck from or cheaper elsewhere.
Probably cheaper elsewhere but may be something you can negotiate in the purchase and have the dealer do reasonably price.

NWIP is absolutely correct. EVERYTHING is negotiable. Use the fact that the 3500 you want to buy was NOT spec'd properly with the 5th wheel prep package. Beat them over head with it. Keep coming back to it. If you'll go at the end of the month when they are trying to meet their sales "number" they may offer to throw it in for free!! Most people don't know that if the dealer makes a certain "number" the factory gives them HUGE incentive checks. Some dealers would go out of business if they didn't get those checks. So at the end of the month if they are a few deals short of making their number they will sell vehicles at a loss just to keep from losing out on their bonus check from the factory.

Back in 2013 I was the Commercial Truck Manager of a Chrysler Dodge Jeep and Ram dealership. One night I was working late (last day of the month) and I went up front and found Larry the New Car Sales Manager looking over the inventory on the computer. I asked Larry what he was doing and he says" I'm looking to see which car I'm going to buy". He said "We're one sale short of our "number" and corporate had told him it was NOT an option to miss this sales goal." He would be fired if they didn't get their check. I asked "How much is the check this month"? He says "$30,000". So, I offer to trade in my Cadillac and buy a new Ram 1500 pickup. He says "REALLY"???!!!!! "I'll give you a great deal!!!" I bought the truck and the dealer lost $3000 on that one truck but they got their $30,000 check from Chrysler and Larry saved his job. You gotta know how to play the game. :cool:

Latest resources

Back