• Commercial/Vendors welcome

5th Wheel question

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Good Day, the answer to your question depends on the weight of your trailer and the configuration of your tow vehicle. We have a 35' Grand Design that weighs 15k lbs, we started out with an F350 srw truck. It would pull it but we we very close to the 3700 lb payload rating of the truck so we purchased an F350 drw which has a 5500 lb payload rating to be safe. Better to be safe than sorry.

I had a 2015 crew cab duramax Chevy 2500 when I started shopping for 5th wheels. We were looking at rigs in the 42 ft. range.
A guy across the road from me where my travel trailer was parked for work had a truck just like mine pulling a 42 ft. jayco. I talked to him and he said it handled it just fine.

So I started looking into upgrading my tires since I knew they didn't have the capacity for the pin weight of the units I was looking at. At least it was too close for me to feel comfy.

Then I read an article on a crash north of here on Interstate 57. A ford F250 had blown a rear tire while pulling a fifth wheel, they rolled a few times, trailer was in pieces along the road side and ford cab was pushed down flat.

I went and bought a Ram dually.

When we started full time traveling back in 2011 it was in a 39' used Montana and a F350 SRW. I installed Firestone air bags to keep my hitched rig level while towing. I could stay within the towing and payload limits but barely.

We lost our mind and ended up in a couple different Class A coaches for a few years before returning to a fiver. This time around I didn't want to worry about being right on the limit so I went with a F350 DRW and max tow package.

Latest resources

Back