Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I haven't been RVing much this year after returning from a long winter trip in April short of a service trip and two other short trips. I'm finally getting out for a two week excursion to the mountains of VA before returning home for another two month sit until long winter departure end of December. It was a bit hard finding a decent place as my favs were all booked as a lot of places shut down the end of October around here. I found a place west of Blacksburg, VA that I figured I'd try as I do need to tell myself to keep going to new places as I eat the same restaurants, return to known good campgrounds, etc.

I've been RVing 3 years now and I certainly have had my share of lessons learned. Here we are 3 years and 3 months later and I'm still writing the book on how to do things bad. I booked two weeks at Kairos Wilderness Campground, I thought it was in WV but I think it's actually in VA (see where this is going???). I know I have about a 5 hour drive ahead of me including rest stop for dawg and fuel stop for some TA discount goodness via the TSD diesel fuel savings program. ($1.89 I think it was). Enjoying the beautiful drive passing VA Tech slated to arrive around 2 PM after a 9 AM departure with stops. Trusty GPS at work for me I'm now finding myself on very windy insanely difficult roads going up a mountain. Really not wide enough to call it a two lane road but it was two way traffic. Two switch backs I could barely make around the turn but I made it. Then comes a sharp left turn required and I couldn't make it. Now I'm blocking two roads and I'm angled downhill pretty steep and I need to disconnect. I can't.

I get in the car and try to remove some stress on the towbar and that's not helping. I put the toad in neutral as I've re-engaged the transmission now and get in the RV to try to get better alignment with what little room I have left. I return to the toad and the doors are locked with the key in the ignition. The engine is running so I guess when there was movement it locked the doors. My phone is IN THE CAR, windows are up and doors locked! Now what am I going to do? I was going to use OnStar on the phone to unlock the doors. I don't remember if I have spare keys in the safe, I may. Thank God I had my Apple Watch on and was able to do OnStar from my apple watch to unlock the doors! Mind you just yesterday I decided to try OnStar on my Apple Watch and it presented a message to refer to the phone to accept new terms of agreement. Had I not done that yesterday I would not have been able to use the Apple Watch. If you have OnStar and an Apple Watch go through the process of learning how to use it! It can save you. More interim lessons learned here is until your toad is disconnected OPEN YOUR WINDOW! A lady pulled up and I asked her to hold the lever down on the tow bar while I put the toad in reverse so I could get it extended from being fully compressed and I was able to complete the disconnect. Two nice men also stopped as I had blocked everyone and told me the route I was taking was not going to happen. I would not be able to get my motorhome down the road I was turning on. They gave me directions on how to get back to the main road which was about 10 miles down this narrow road I was on before trying to turn.

As I made way down this narrow road two areas had the shoulder collapsed due to erosion. I went far left in these areas to avoid going over the side and rolling down the mountain, the end of me and Elli! I figured I may be able to dive out my window but Elli was harnessed in on the coach, she would be done for. I looked all over for the signs these two nice guys told me about and couldn't find it. I made several calls to the CG and finally got through, he gave me directions but it was too long for me to comprehend as I can only remember up to the first turn! The address was completely different from what I had to enter (stay tuned). GPS said to left at Rt 648, he told me to go right. Made no sense. I went right then noticed I was on the road I just came down so I stopped and figured I'd google it and see what's going on. A guy in a truck stopped and asked if I needed help and told me to follow him, he was going in that direction. Had to drive about 5-7 miles on a gravel rough road. Then turn and go up a very VERY steep paved road. I wasn't sure I would even be able to get up this road, no way a gasser could have done this. Another large switchback left which I couldn't make and again I'm in a situation where I may not be able to get the toad unhooked. The CG guy came down to help me as I wasn't that far now but I got it unhooked, made the turn, and rehooked. Back up even steeper roads, good grief, finally there!

This is one of my worst experiences to date in RV navigation. First mistake, I didn't pay attention to the details on the CG web site about getting there. I trust my GPS and it's worked fine to date. Mistake! Second and biggest issue, you know sometimes the web sites have two addresses, one is the "mailing address"??? yeah, I was going there, not even close to the CG. I didn't do a Google Maps review of the area, it looked straight-forward from the CG search. Reviews mentioned the steep road.

I was very close to just going back home or another CG and give up. I didn't care about deposit or cancellation rules, this was infuriating and demoralizing. Quite frankly it was scary. I had low hanging limbs, one I thought may have busted my windshield or part above it. I thought it was a loose limb hanging down, wrong, it was just a friggin full fledged limb that wasn't trimmed.

So I'm finally here, only motorhome here, not surprised, all others are smaller trailer types. It's going to be interesting going down the hill and I won't be able to make the sharp turn where I had to disconnect/reconnect so that will have to happen again.

Not all campgrounds are paradise. Do your homework. I'll make the mistakes for you. Today was not fun at all!

Dang, Neal. The only things missing from that story are a hockey mask and a chainsaw.

Oh my goodness it sure does sound scary, I’m sorry you went through that. So are you going to be able to enjoy yourself for two weeks with thinking about your departure? I Hope so.

If you find yourself not relaxing and not enjoying yourself, pack up and move to better surroundings. If you need to, take the toad down to level ground and ask the owner of campground to pick you up to retrieve coach. Don’t put you and precious Ellie in harms way!

Good Luck and enjoy your vacation!

I am glad you Elli and the coach are okay.

Dang, Neal. The only things missing from that story are a hockey mask and a chainsaw.
Be sure to leave before the 31st.

That’s some story. Glad you made it.

I haven't been RVing much this year after returning from a long winter trip in April short of a service trip and two other short trips. I'm finally getting out for a two week excursion to the mountains of VA before returning home for another two month sit until long winter departure end of December. It was a bit hard finding a decent place as my favs were all booked as a lot of places shut down the end of October around here. I found a place west of Blacksburg, VA that I figured I'd try as I do need to tell myself to keep going to new places as I eat the same restaurants, return to known good campgrounds, etc.

I've been RVing 3 years now and I certainly have had my share of lessons learned. Here we are 3 years and 3 months later and I'm still writing the book on how to do things bad. I booked two weeks at Kairos Wilderness Campground, I thought it was in WV but I think it's actually in VA (see where this is going???). I know I have about a 5 hour drive ahead of me including rest stop for dawg and fuel stop for some TA discount goodness via the TSD diesel fuel savings program. ($1.89 I think it was). Enjoying the beautiful drive passing VA Tech slated to arrive around 2 PM after a 9 AM departure with stops. Trusty GPS at work for me I'm now finding myself on very windy insanely difficult roads going up a mountain. Really not wide enough to call it a two lane road but it was two way traffic. Two switch backs I could barely make around the turn but I made it. Then comes a sharp left turn required and I couldn't make it. Now I'm blocking two roads and I'm angled downhill pretty steep and I need to disconnect. I can't.

I get in the car and try to remove some stress on the towbar and that's not helping. I put the toad in neutral as I've re-engaged the transmission now and get in the RV to try to get better alignment with what little room I have left. I return to the toad and the doors are locked with the key in the ignition. The engine is running so I guess when there was movement it locked the doors. My phone is IN THE CAR, windows are up and doors locked! Now what am I going to do? I was going to use OnStar on the phone to unlock the doors. I don't remember if I have spare keys in the safe, I may. Thank God I had my Apple Watch on and was able to do OnStar from my apple watch to unlock the doors! Mind you just yesterday I decided to try OnStar on my Apple Watch and it presented a message to refer to the phone to accept new terms of agreement. Had I not done that yesterday I would not have been able to use the Apple Watch. If you have OnStar and an Apple Watch go through the process of learning how to use it! It can save you. More interim lessons learned here is until your toad is disconnected OPEN YOUR WINDOW! A lady pulled up and I asked her to hold the lever down on the tow bar while I put the toad in reverse so I could get it extended from being fully compressed and I was able to complete the disconnect. Two nice men also stopped as I had blocked everyone and told me the route I was taking was not going to happen. I would not be able to get my motorhome down the road I was turning on. They gave me directions on how to get back to the main road which was about 10 miles down this narrow road I was on before trying to turn.

As I made way down this narrow road two areas had the shoulder collapsed due to erosion. I went far left in these areas to avoid going over the side and rolling down the mountain, the end of me and Elli! I figured I may be able to dive out my window but Elli was harnessed in on the coach, she would be done for. I looked all over for the signs these two nice guys told me about and couldn't find it. I made several calls to the CG and finally got through, he gave me directions but it was too long for me to comprehend as I can only remember up to the first turn! The address was completely different from what I had to enter (stay tuned). GPS said to left at Rt 648, he told me to go right. Made no sense. I went right then noticed I was on the road I just came down so I stopped and figured I'd google it and see what's going on. A guy in a truck stopped and asked if I needed help and told me to follow him, he was going in that direction. Had to drive about 5-7 miles on a gravel rough road. Then turn and go up a very VERY steep paved road. I wasn't sure I would even be able to get up this road, no way a gasser could have done this. Another large switchback left which I couldn't make and again I'm in a situation where I may not be able to get the toad unhooked. The CG guy came down to help me as I wasn't that far now but I got it unhooked, made the turn, and rehooked. Back up even steeper roads, good grief, finally there!

This is one of my worst experiences to date in RV navigation. First mistake, I didn't pay attention to the details on the CG web site about getting there. I trust my GPS and it's worked fine to date. Mistake! Second and biggest issue, you know sometimes the web sites have two addresses, one is the "mailing address"??? yeah, I was going there, not even close to the CG. I didn't do a Google Maps review of the area, it looked straight-forward from the CG search. Reviews mentioned the steep road.

I was very close to just going back home or another CG and give up. I didn't care about deposit or cancellation rules, this was infuriating and demoralizing. Quite frankly it was scary. I had low hanging limbs, one I thought may have busted my windshield or part above it. I thought it was a loose limb hanging down, wrong, it was just a friggin full fledged limb that wasn't trimmed.

So I'm finally here, only motorhome here, not surprised, all others are smaller trailer types. It's going to be interesting going down the hill and I won't be able to make the sharp turn where I had to disconnect/reconnect so that will have to happen again.

Not all campgrounds are paradise. Do your homework. I'll make the mistakes for you. Today was not fun at all!

Yikes!!! That is not fun at all? We have also learned the hard way to take a quick read through a campground’s directions. Most of the time, it is just redundant, but now and then you need to have a heads-up.. I have to make sure as Jerry puts all in the gps, and I have to double check that there are no special issues? Judy D
Just to add to Judy’s post.....I’m the adventurous one concerning road types, she always says “let’s go back to the highway”. Guess who I should have always listened too.
infinite skyway GIF

wow that sounds pretty awful, good on you for persevering through it. I expect I would have given up after getting stuck the second time. When you leave, I might suggest driving the tow vehicle to some place nearby you can get to with the motorhome that is past those chokepoints on your way back to the highway and parking it there. Lowes, HD, grocery store, anything with a big parking lot on a main road. Make a friend s at the CG, ask the CG owner or call a left or Uber to pick you up from there and take you back to the CG, then drive the coach there and hook up, then move on to the highway unhindered. A major pain but it beats getting locked up in an intersection.

what GPS are you using and when did you update it last? Even if you had the wrong address, if your GPS takes height, weight and size restrictions into account properly and and you enter and address in that it can’t get it, then it should say the destination can’t be reached. It seems length may have been your undoing? Make sure your length in the app is accurate.

Lastly, have a beer...or maybe a case, and try to enjoy your time there and set up for better success getting out.

We had a ”day from hell” once (we ended up scrapping the entire annual big vacation) But I remember pulling into the campground later that day and “mentioning” our troubles to the lady checking us in , and she sweetly chirped ...(I’ll never forget) .... “it’s always an adventure!” I wanted to slap her upside the head ? ...that’s become our mantra every time something goes wrong. “It’s always an adventure!” and we remember that lady.

what GPS are you using and when did you update it last? Even if you had the wrong address, if your GPS takes height, weight and size restrictions into account properly and and you enter and address in that it can’t get it, then it should say the destination can’t be reached. It seems length may have been your undoing? Make sure your length in the app is accurate.
I have seen this fail from my own personal experiences 2 times. Even in late model garmin RV units like I have. I have opened tickets with Garmin support and they never got resolved as Garmin said both times “we cannot recreate the routing error.“ I always keep my maps updated before any trips. I just don’t trust them 100%. I verify everything.

Latest resources

Back