Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We've learned, even with RVs, that sometimes it's not a good idea to be at the upper limit of anything, even if you qualify.
Many parks that have a 35 foot size limit on RVs tend to be older, with roads you can barely navigate, and sites that are very difficult to level, and no more than 30 amp power. They simply were designed for a different era. Just because you can fit doesn't mean you'll be comfortable .
I would pay close attention to how hilly the area is, and how many trees are in the area. The limit might be fine in a relatively flat park, but horrible in a heavily treed or hilly park. We had no trouble at Dinosaur State Park in Texas with navigating roads and leveling, but they only have 30 amp power and I wouldn't want to camp there in hot weather. we were there in March and it was still hot enough to need AC and the breakers sometimes tripped. I will never again stay at Huntsville or Bastrop state parks because the sites are quite unlevel, and how could you possibly tell how level a site is until you try it. The park ranger certainly won't know.
i've also noticed that the restrooms and showers at the state parks tend to be old, and not very clean.
I guess my main point is check out your park carefully before making a possibly expensive commitment that could result in quite a bit of damage to your rig if you're not careful.

We experienced a couple places like that in up state NY. We barely made it in and out of the park. One of the concerns was a weight limit to cross a bridge. It was a small creek bridge but the limit was less than the total weight of the coach. At the time we were told it was ok to cross because only one set of axle's we're on the bridge at a time. The heaviest axle (rear) was "less" than the weight limit of the bridge.

We experienced a couple places like that in up state NY. We barely made it in and out of the park. One of the concerns was a weight limit to cross a bridge. It was a small creek bridge but the limit was less than the total weight of the coach. At the time we were told it was ok to cross because only one set of axle's we're on the bridge at a time. The heaviest axle (rear) was "less" than the weight limit of the bridge.
ah yes, i forgot bridges. - we encountered a similar siuation in Texas when GPS led us down a wrong road. We were easily 30k pounds, bridge was rated for 21K. We made it for same reason.
1673001887840.png

Totally agree. We took a trip to Hocking Hills in Ohio on a Friday afternoon. We booked the KOA just up the road. We use E-bikes and were told only 4 miles and no problem. The road in was nothing but hairpin, switchbacks with really steep ups and downs. We were actually traveling about 10MHP at times with a line of mad cars behind us. Once we were there and paid, the office people told us bikes will not work on that road. No kidding! That road is a death trap but now we were stuck. Our MH is 36 and we always tell parks 40 ft. Once we crawled to the site, the "full hock up" was located towards the front. We have a power cord extension but no way or desire to run 25ft of sewer hose. The camp manager actually told me "the hocks ups are in the middle of the site because you never know where the units have the dump hardware". REALLY? I have never seen anyone dump in the front? Needless to say, after paying the minimum 3 night fee, we pulled out Sat morning, hit the park for the day and headed home.
If we really had a 40, we would probably still be wedged on one of those steep drop 90's they called a road.
Ken

The good thing about traveling in a 35’ is that if you ever decide to go to 40’ you’ll already be used to the limits of having a bigger RV. I‘ve had to adjust to 35’ and it does eliminate some of the types of places I liked to camp, but now that I’ve made that adjustment, a 40’ coach can get into just about every place I take my 35’. So gone are the days of those little, out of the way parks, but at this point I’ve made the adjustment and it aint all that bad.

Indian Boundary Campground (Cherokee Nat'l Forest) has a size limit due to interior roads. "Campground road is designed for vehicles up to 26 feet in length; any damage caused by larger vehicles may result in a fine" No problem. We took the truck camper. I drove. The road going up there isn't really great for large RVs either. It's amazing how many people are unable to drive their RVs, no matter what size they are. Perhaps you need to invest in a tent?

Two that immediately come to my mind are Joshua Tree NP and Franklin Mountains State Park in Texas near El Paso.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back