Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CCKitty

RVF Newbee
I'm shopping for a trailer that is small enough for me to feel comfortable towing. My limit is about 20'. Often I see a 16 ft or 17ft trailer advertised, but then the length shown is 21.9 or 20 .6 or something like that. So what's the deal and how do I know the actual length?

There is box size and overall size(including the tong). I have seen them advertised both ways. Most use box size. the tong is 3 to 4 ft long. In no time you will be unhappy with a 20 ft overall length trailer, And you will quickly adjust to a longer trailer.

@Kevin D Pem nailed it! The extra 3-4' of tongue doesn't really change much in the towing equation. The weight is all in the "box" and that's what really matters. And a 3-4' difference in "box" size makes a big difference in livability.

I suggest that you visit some RV dealers (leave the checkbook and credit card at home ;) ) and walk through as many trailers as you can. Pay attention to the livability features that you want/need and determine what size "box" provides them and base your purchasing decision on that.

Good luck.

TJ

I agree. A 20' travel trailer will become VERY small especially on rainy days. If towing is your only issue I would buy a longer camper. You will very quickly get used to the length. My first camper is the 40' diesel pusher we have now. Yeah, it was intimidating at first but now? I'm not afraid to pull it in almost anywhere.

Latest resources

Back