• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mtns4mama

RVF Regular
Hi Folks!
Well, after opening doors/drawers, testing mattresses, and sizing things up it looks like we've decided on a GD Reflection 150series 260RD to tow with our F250 4x4 (standard bed, gas) so we're down to who's gonna give us the best price. We know we'll need a slide topper and may want to include a hitch in our deal since we don't have one. How much off MSRP (percentage wise) should we go for and should we ask to include the topper and hitch? We aren't planning to finance (unless they will give us a better deal and we can payoff without penalty). I have read in some blogs of asking for as much as 50% off MSRP but I think that's on the big ticket motorhomes, plus, I realize the market is a bit tighter these days. What percent can we legitimately get away with offering?

Welcome to RVF, @mtns4mama; glad to have you here with us.

I think that your assessment of a tight market right now is spot on! That said, there may be some negotiating room available. I don't think it will be anywhere near 50%, however. Even in better days, we were happy to find ourselves in the 28%-30% range on Class A diesel pushers.

Over the years, I have found it easier to get "things" added into the deal (slide toppers, hitches, etc.) than I have getting dollars shaved off. Getting some of both is a great result!

Now, here's what I think is a solid strategy. Identify all those things you will want/need added; hitch, slide topper, etc. Then, do some research on what your specific RV has been selling for. Decide what you are willing to pay and stick to it during your initial negotiating; you can always adjust upward if you have to, but you can't go down.

Finally, do your negotiating in person. Working via phone, e-mail, etc. usually isn't as effective, though it may be more convenient (especially in these times). Don't be afraid to tell a salesman that his/her price is above what you are comfortable with and that you'll have to take some time to think about it. Then, head for the door. You may not get very far. ;) If the sales person is willing to let you walk, shop around a bit before going back and raising your offer.

On our first motorhome, we walked on proposed deal...and, got a phone call at home a week later agreeing to our initial offer. It happens. Don't get in a hurry; let the dust settle first. Getting in a hurry leads to buyer's remorse more often than not.

Good luck.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @mtns4mama; glad to have you here with us.

I think that your assessment of a tight market right now is spot on! That said, there may be some negotiating room available. I don't think it will be anywhere near 50%, however. Even in better days, we were happy to find ourselves in the 28%-30% range on Class A diesel pushers.

Over the years, I have found it easier to get "things" added into the deal (slide toppers, hitches, etc.) than I have getting dollars shaved off. Getting some of both is a great result!

Now, here's what I think is a solid strategy. Identify all those things you will want/need added; hitch, slide topper, etc. Then, do some research on what your specific RV has been selling for. Decide what you are willing to pay and stick to it during your initial negotiating; you can always adjust upward if you have to, but you can't go down.

Finally, do your negotiating in person. Working via phone, e-mail, etc. usually isn't as effective, though it may be more convenient (especially in these times). Don't be afraid to tell a salesman that his/her price is above what you are comfortable with and that you'll have to take some time to think about it. Then, head for the door. You may not get very far. ;) If the sales person is willing to let you walk, shop around a bit before going back and raising your offer.

On our first motorhome, we walked on proposed deal...and, got a phone call at home a week later agreeing to our initial offer. It happens. Don't get in a hurry; let the dust settle first. Getting in a hurry leads to buyer's remorse more often than not.

Good luck.

TJ
Thanks TJ! Hubby hates "let's sit down and talk about this" at the dealers and would rather be boiled in oil I think.:eek: Seems like since some better deals are hours away we may try to get the deal on the phone.

Thanks TJ! Hubby hates "let's sit down and talk about this" at the dealers and would rather be boiled in oil I think.:eek: Seems like since some better deals are hours away we may try to get the deal on the phone.
No problem; just don't get in a hurry. Still be willing to tell the sales person when you are not comfortable with the price and that you need some time to think about it and that you want to check with some other dealers. ;)

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back