RV Model
Big Country fb3950
RV Length
42 feet
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
Yes
So, my wife and I are full timers in our 2015 Heartland 42ft Big Country and settling in on our property to build things out. Our FB3950 is parked inside our barn for protection.

The AC units in our bedroom and lounge were noisy and the ducted air flow a bit light so we invested in 2 kits:
1. Wacko DA100 we installed in bedroom to reduce Brisk II noise level. Install was a breeze and the noise level dropped 7dB according to my meter and our ears say it is actually quieter. The cover does extend nearly 2” from ceiling so if you’re 6’-4” like me, you might want to take that into account.
2. RV Air Flow System we installed in the lounge. This kit was a train wreck from the get-go. Fortunately I’m an engineer so I was able to utilize some of the kit.
A. Styrofoam block was correct fit for the Brisk II AC unit but the molded duct outlets directing cold air into the RV duct system was off by 2” in all directions effectively blocking off the RV ducts.
B. I took the styrofoam block apart and recarved the duct outlets and modified the internal flow channels of the block.
C. I then used some King Air foam seals and aluminum foil tape to reassemble the foam block.
D. Installed the modified “kit” and while the air flow did not increase 1 CFM, the noise level did drop by 8 dB so it wasn’t a total loss.

Final recommendations-
The Wacko kit actually did what it claimed and was straight forward to install. A bit pricey, but delivered.

The RV Air Flow Acceleration “kit” is a sham. The kit is sold as being engineered yet was not close to fitting my AC unit. The $200 price for a styrofoam block and 2 useless plastic duct inserts is insulting. I would run away from these guys. And yes, I contacted them about the fit issues and was essentially advised sometimes the owner has to make adjustments.

The purpose of this post is to provide my honest experience on our 5th wheel so others can have additional data to make their decisions from.

Thank you for the reply. We did install the Wacko difussers on both of our AC units in current coach. Agree with both they work well and reduce the noise. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back