• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

KJ2019RoadtrekZion

RVF Regular
Hello All!

We purchased a 2019 RoadTrek Zion and on our first trip with the RV. I have a question that I tried searching online and cannot find an answer anywhere. So, hoping my fellow RoadTrek’kers can help.

We are plugged into 30 amp shore power service at our campground, but the only way we are able to run the A/C is if we have the inverter turned on. Is that correct in that we need to have the inverter on to run the A/C when plugged into shore power?

From what I am reading everywhere and what our dealer told us. The only time you should need to have the inverter turned on is if using the microwave or toaster type appliance while traveling and/or not plugged into shore power.

I’m confused, please help.

Thank you,
KJ2019RoadTrekZion

What is the state of charge of your house batteries? The thermostats operate on 12 V DC and the inverter is probably charging your house batteries when it's on.

From what I can see and determine. (I’m new to lithium batteries, inverter, charging systems.) I thought both batteries were fully charge. They were on charging while we made a 700 mile trip. According to the solar charging panel in the back cabinet its green light is flashing. Which from what I read in manuals means a battery is half charged. Is that correct? If so, then I am guessing my batteries didn’t fully charge while traveling on the 700 mile trip?

The inverter does not charge the batteries. The converter charges the batteries. And the solar panels and probably the alternator. The inverter takes the 12vdc and makes it 120vac. It is possibly giving you a boost to your ac voltage....You need to check the quality of power coming into the unit, and sometimes you can't run an AC on 30 amp pedestals and for sure you cant run anything else at the same time. Welcome to the world of they told me I could do this and that.....There are options but you have to spend more to get them.

The inverter in my coach not only inverts 12v ac into 120v dc it also, when plugged into shore power, converts 120v ac into 12v dc and charges the batteries.

With inverter off do any 115v loads run? Check transfer switch

Nice, you have a modern one. Tell people that next time to get accurate help. Also, that is not an inverter, as inverters ONLY work one way.

Nice, you have a modern one. Tell people that next time to get accurate help. Also, that is not an inverter, as inverters ONLY work one way.
Not always true! Most low frequency low voltage inverters are inverter chargers. OK then most RV manufacturers don't use high-end inverters.

I have been in RV's up to $500,000 and I have not seen one yet. Been in new expensive 5th wheels almost everyday and I have not seen one yet.......and I stand by my statement as Inverters....invert. Not convert.

The Outback Power 2800 watt FX series inverters, in our rig, charge the house batteries. But don’t know if this is normal.

The more I read and learn, the more I realize how the original owner customized this RV. I read bunches here to learn from other RV brand owners as other owners of our brand RV do not usually have the same components.

Not sure what is common vs unique.

Latest resources

Back