Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Adding a 5th wheel hitch to a truck without 5th wheel hitch prep?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Radioherd

RVF Regular
Hi All,

The RAM 3500 dually i've found doesn't have the 5th wheel hitch prep, is it easy enough to add a hitch with a rail?

From what I can tell I can get something like this and have it installed:

One thing i never though of, do all 3500/dually's have the 115 amp connector at the back inside of the bed? I will need to ask the dealer as i didn't check for that.

What you indicate at the link should work as long as you stay within the limits for the weights of what you are towing. What weights are you towing?

115 amps? Amps?? That's a lot of power at 12 volts. Do you mean something else such as 120 volts AC at maybe 10 amps for 1200 watts of power??

Rick

Yeah, the amp thing is wrong. You mean the 12vdc plug to run the lights and brakes etc. This is a question for the truck dealer. Mine has one, but it has the prep package.

Hi All,

The RAM 3500 dually i've found doesn't have the 5th wheel hitch prep, is it easy enough to add a hitch with a rail?

From what I can tell I can get something like this and have it installed:

One thing i never though of, do all 3500/dually's have the 115 amp connector at the back inside of the bed? I will need to ask the dealer as i didn't check for that.
If it doesn't have pucks it probably doesn't have the fifth wheel light/brake plug in the bed either.
That hitch shows 4 hours installation time. You'd be better off to find a truck with pucks unless you can get the truck dealer to spring for the install or you're getting a really really good deal.

What you indicate at the link should work as long as you stay within the limits for the weights of what you are towing. What weights are you towing?

115 amps? Amps?? That's a lot of power at 12 volts. Do you mean something else such as 120 volts AC at maybe 10 amps for 1200 watts of power??

Rick
Yeah towing 16900.

115 amps = 115 v yes sorry - just the 5th wheel connector at the back of the bed - the truck doesn't have the pucks already so probably going to need to add the rails for the 5th wheel prep plus the 115v connection by the sounds of it.

For getting some quotes on that - best to use a ram dealership or just an independent shop in everyone's experience? Or would an RV dealership be best?

If it doesn't have pucks it probably doesn't have the fifth wheel light/brake plug in the bed either.
That hitch shows 4 hours installation time. You'd be better off to find a truck with pucks unless you can get the truck dealer to spring for the install or you're getting a really really good deal.
Yeah - it's a good deal - the extra cost to have the hitch and fifth wheel light/brake plug installed will still make it a good deal.

But it is obviously a pain in the butt to have to get that added...

It is not a 115 vac plug. It is just another 7 pin connector like the one on the bumper. 12v DC.

Latest resources

Back