RV Year
RV Make
Gulfstream Kingsport Ultralite
RV Model
199RK
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
I decided to add heat to my Dometic A/C unit because I noticed it had a heat option, but didn't come with a heat element. After doing so and testing it this week with the 28 degree weather we ran into I now have some pros and cons.

Pros:
1. While the air coming out is not as hot as our propane heater, it was just as hot as our small space heater and kept the trailer toasty without us having to use our propane heater (so we got to save our propane and use the camps electricity to run it at no cost).

2. It was super easy to install, just pull off the panel cover tighten up a few bolts and plug in a connector. 15 minute or less job.

Cons:

1. Unfortunately, the temperature output is constant and cannot be adjusted, its either full heat or no heat.

2. To compensate for the trailer getting too hot when the temperature raised we opened a vent in the trailer to let some of the heat escape and it stayed comfortable.

In short, I think the upgrade is worth the money for myself, and I plan on using it from now on to heat the trailer whenever we have shore power available rather than the propane heater that is built into my travel trailer, but if we are boondocking I plan to use my propane heater which allows me to set a specific temperature which is automatically maintained. Below is a link to the part I purchased and used, if you are interested in seeing if it will work with your travel trailer you can click on the link below to check and see if it is compatable with your unit.

Dometic Heater Element for AC Unit Heat Function

1679276927399.png

1679276999938.png
1679276970072.png

1679277030841.png

Latest resources

Back