Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
In another thread I mentioned that it was difficult to see turning on dark roads not being able to see the road I was turning on. I mentioned adding some lights.
Well I’m doing just that. I ordered some light from Amazon, tested the first to see if they would be bright enough. They were, not too bright to be obnoxious, but bright enough to see. All I have to do is wire them. I was going to go with the turn signals, but I did not want to go through the MH with wiring, so I decided to use existing LED light switch that I have. Only thing is it will turn both on not just one side. I can deal with that. Simple is better in my book.

Attachments

• 1D7B1960-BF95-4A02-B41F-88A698DE630D.jpeg
    1D7B1960-BF95-4A02-B41F-88A698DE630D.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 5B4A78E3-0E0C-4D5B-8D72-FE8AADD515F3.jpeg
    5B4A78E3-0E0C-4D5B-8D72-FE8AADD515F3.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 12
  • FFE97B7E-25B0-455A-B180-BF17A327760B.jpeg
    FFE97B7E-25B0-455A-B180-BF17A327760B.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 6E453BCC-9211-4F7C-BF6F-A997679EF6BD.jpeg
    6E453BCC-9211-4F7C-BF6F-A997679EF6BD.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 12
Looks good - not sure I would be courageous enough to cut those holes so its good to see the pics and the final product which looks quite nice. On wiring, you might be able to tie in to the side camera wiring to activate the lights with your turn signals - maybe with a relay and separate power source since its probably smaller wire going to the cameras.

I also added more side turn signal lights. I had one OE amber but it didnt seem to have any effect so I added two more ambers and a red. Because I tied into the tail lights for the red at the rear it also comes on with the brake ligjts, but thats ok with me. More lights means more safety, theoretically.

The thought (hope) was that other drivers would be more apt to notice when I wanted to change lanes, and maybe even show a little courtesy. Ok, that last part is unrealistic. I can’t say that I’ve noticed much difference but at least I’ve done my part.
622F3C1D-4B26-4FB3-8182-74EE992AF9BC.jpeg

I could tie into the camera system. I did think of that, but I wanted to control when they came on. Yes I could to that too with the camera system, but I can tie into the existing lights with just a short run to the front of the RV.

I could tie into the camera system. I did think of that, but I wanted to control when they came on. Yes I could to that too with the camera system, but I can tie into the existing lights with just a short run to the front of the RV.
that to, but as you say, then they are on every time you use your turn signals, day and night, and not just when you need them. Your way is better and they will also double as work lights.

Well, there wired and working. I did wire them with my LED lights. One advantage I did not consider. With them wired this way I can turn them on without the ignition on. I can use them if needed when sitting out at night.

Attachments

• CCA33AB9-FEC6-48C6-B98F-7DF152FBB09D.jpeg
    CCA33AB9-FEC6-48C6-B98F-7DF152FBB09D.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 7
I want todo the same. I was going to go with directionals, but that seems too complicated. My reasoning is a little different. I thought there should be a marker light up front for those driving alongside the coach at night. I am rthinking of tieing into the current marker lights (the tiny leds on the front).

And, yes I am reluctant to drill the holes. I assume one would put rubber grommets in thebhole to avoid chafing of the wires.

I have never drilled through fiberglass before. My thought is to put painters tape over the drill point, drill a tiny pilot hole, then the actual size hole?

I want todo the same. I was going to go with directionals, but that seems too complicated. My reasoning is a little different. I thought there should be a marker light up front for those driving alongside the coach at night. I am rthinking of tieing into the current marker lights (the tiny leds on the front).

And, yes I am reluctant to drill the holes. I assume one would put rubber grommets in thebhole to avoid chafing of the wires.

I have never drilled through fiberglass before. My thought is to put painters tape over the drill point, drill a tiny pilot hole, then the actual size hole?
My fenders are actually plastic. I just drilled at a slower speed. The wires are on the back side of the lights and don’t go through the hole. The lights does except for the outer flange. I thought about wiring them to the marker lights, but decided I did not want them on while driving. I thought they were too bright if traffic were beside me and might blind them.

For cutting the holes in fiberglass I would use the correct size hole saw.

I drilled holes for the wires for my extra side turn signal lights and used grommets for the holes. I have a grommet kit so matching a drill bit to the grommet was easy.

Latest resources

Back