• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Brad K

RVF Regular
Hi everyone!
We have ordered a small class A Entegra Motorhome. We live in Billings, Montana and plan on using it in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. We will be in RV parks, forest service campground, and some boondocking. Is it worth installing solar panels? Our motorhome will be prepped for solar but no panels. If you have experience with solar panels or an opinion on this please respond back.

Thanks!

Hi everyone!
We have ordered a small class A Entegra Motorhome. We live in Billings, Montana and plan on using it in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. We will be in RV parks, forest service campground, and some boondocking. Is it worth installing solar panels? Our motorhome will be prepped for solar but no panels. If you have experience with solar panels or an opinion on this please respond back.

Thanks!
Hi @Brad K and welcome to RVForums.

This is such a diverse question. But let me ask you, what do you plan to do with the solar? Also, how big is the solar controller that came with the coach?

I added solar...did I "need" it? NO. I have a great generator that can supply all the power needed at a low diesel burn rate. Solar for me is and was an education. I have enjoyed solar for boondocking, I actually got it because I was storing my RV in a storage facility without power. Solar allowed me to keep my refrigerator stocked and not have to deal with loading/unloading and having enough room for things in the house. It also allows me to keep batteries maintained if/when in service should they not have an electrical hookup.

Solar will teach you about your electrical system, batteries, power demands. It's not cheap but it's also not hard to install yourself which can save a lot of money. I recommend AMSolar if you need help.

For a full timer that stays off grid, like forest campgrounds, forest dispersed camping, BLM land. Then the answer may be yes it is worth it. The problem in the forest is finding locations that have a clear view of the sun for enough of the day.

You are in control of your own power company, if you will, When off grid. All maintenance is your responsibility. With a generator that means oil changes and the cost of feeding it, as well as tuneups.

For solar it means replacing inverters, and controllers, when they go out . My solar was paid for in 8 months in gas/maintenance that no longer goes into the generator. This is not a free and clear No cost thing as parts break and need replacement, It only means the original cost was covered in 8 months of not needing the generator as much.

Be warned that solar becomes addictive. I just brought home another 1000w to find a place for. I was already at 1000w so I will have 2000w when I get it installed. In my opinion it is worth it, others will say no. much depends on what you use power for.

I added solar...did I "need" it? NO. I have a great generator that can supply all the power needed at a low diesel burn rate. Solar for me is and was an education. I have enjoyed solar for boondocking, I actually got it because I was storing my RV in a storage facility without power. Solar allowed me to keep my refrigerator stocked and not have to deal with loading/unloading and having enough room for things in the house. It also allows me to keep batteries maintained if/when in service should they not have an electrical hookup.

Solar will teach you about your electrical system, batteries, power demands. It's not cheap but it's also not hard to install yourself which can save a lot of money. I recommend AMSolar if you need help.
Thanks Neal for the info!

Good morning I am new to Rving and Just purchased a holiday rambler that the owner installed solar and I don't know much about it so I might chime in here if that's ok. I don't know if you guys have the panels permanently mounted but i have 4 and they are under the bed i guess they were used on site .

Good morning I am new to Rving and Just purchased a holiday rambler that the owner installed solar and I don't know much about it so I might chime in here if that's ok. I don't know if you guys have the panels permanently mounted but i have 4 and they are under the bed i guess they were used on site .
Many people will set up panels on the ground when they set up camp. The thought is the rig can be in the shade and the panels will be in the sun. I only remind you that only two types of panels exist. Panels that are well bolted down, and broken ones.

Hi Brad,

Solar is a tool. So, the question you have to ask...which everyone has pointed out...how will you use it? What is that worth to you?

I personally think solar is an awesome addition. Installs can run the gambit...and you have to decide what it is you want to get out of it...and understand the limitations which can impact it’s ability to meet your needs.

Redundancy. Usually, something that is redundant is unnecessary. But, when it comes to taking care of your investment in batteries...redundancy is GOOD!!! Has anyone had a problem or outage on a shore power connection? (Me!). Has anyone had a mechanical problem that caused the generator to quit or fail to start? (Yep...Me, again!). So, there are from time to time situations that arise that take away your ability to keep those storage devices charged up. Solar, doesn’t need fuel, oil, or anything other than the sun. Having a redundant source of charging can really come in very useful.

Expanding opportunities. There are times you might want to enjoy a holiday away from the usual “Park” situation. Boondocking on the BLM land...a parking lot at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta...a field for an International FMCA rally... Whatever the reason, solar can really help you enjoy the whole experience by having to rely less on the generator. Making it easier to comply with quiet times. Being a good neighbor and not puffing fumes into the front door of the coach next to you. If your installation allows...adding to a 30A drop and still being able to run both air conditioners on a hot day at a Rally or in a State Park with 30A infrastructure.

But there are limits. Solar is only as good as the suns availability. Output can’t be expected to be pristine when it’s dark, rainy, under a canopy of trees, at a northern latitude with the sun low on the horizon. If you do most of your rving in these conditions...then solar will be a weak performer.

Size and installation. There is a lot to be said for planning. Knowing your needs is the first crucial step. Installing a shunt based battery monitor is a great way to survey your rig...to see what it consumes. After installing one of these devices...zero out the aH counter...and unplug. Use your coach the way you normally would...and jot down aH used over intervals of time. You can also look at the Amp demand in real times...and flip components on/ and off to get a reading in how much a particular electric component uses. If you know in advance what you will need...it makes it much easier to design a system that you will enjoy. The battery monitor will always be a valuable tool for as long as you own the coach. So, it’s a great first step.

Well...If something I said rang true...then solar might be the ticket. But, there are plenty of folks that prefer alternatives, and label solar a ridiculous waste of money. And they are right too. It all depends on your perspective...

Hi Brad,

Solar is a tool. So, the question you have to ask...which everyone has pointed out...how will you use it? What is that worth to you?

I personally think solar is an awesome addition. Installs can run the gambit...and you have to decide what it is you want to get out of it...and understand the limitations which can impact it’s ability to meet your needs.

Redundancy. Usually, something that is redundant is unnecessary. But, when it comes to taking care of your investment in batteries...redundancy is GOOD!!! Has anyone had a problem or outage on a shore power connection? (Me!). Has anyone had a mechanical problem that caused the generator to quit or fail to start? (Yep...Me, again!). So, there are from time to time situations that arise that take away your ability to keep those storage devices charged up. Solar, doesn’t need fuel, oil, or anything other than the sun. Having a redundant source of charging can really come in very useful.

Expanding opportunities. There are times you might want to enjoy a holiday away from the usual “Park” situation. Boondocking on the BLM land...a parking lot at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta...a field for an International FMCA rally... Whatever the reason, solar can really help you enjoy the whole experience by having to rely less on the generator. Making it easier to comply with quiet times. Being a good neighbor and not puffing fumes into the front door of the coach next to you. If your installation allows...adding to a 30A drop and still being able to run both air conditioners on a hot day at a Rally or in a State Park with 30A infrastructure.

But there are limits. Solar is only as good as the suns availability. Output can’t be expected to be pristine when it’s dark, rainy, under a canopy of trees, at a northern latitude with the sun low on the horizon. If you do most of your rving in these conditions...then solar will be a weak performer.

Size and installation. There is a lot to be said for planning. Knowing your needs is the first crucial step. Installing a shunt based battery monitor is a great way to survey your rig...to see what it consumes. After installing one of these devices...zero out the aH counter...and unplug. Use your coach the way you normally would...and jot down aH used over intervals of time. You can also look at the Amp demand in real times...and flip components on/ and off to get a reading in how much a particular electric component uses. If you know in advance what you will need...it makes it much easier to design a system that you will enjoy. The battery monitor will always be a valuable tool for as long as you own the coach. So, it’s a great first step.

Well...If something I said rang true...then solar might be the ticket. But, there are plenty of folks that prefer alternatives, and label solar a ridiculous waste of money. And they are right too. It all depends on your perspective...
Thanks so much for all the useful info! We have a lot to think about. Greatly appreciate your response! Take care.

Latest resources

Back