Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Advice for a novice: What is the best gun to carry in an RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BuckyII

Enjoying retirement in Naples, FL.
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3341
RV Length
34’
TOW/TOAD
2016 Cadillac SRX
The thread regarding favorite handguns and the events taking place in our country peeked my interest in possibly starting to carry a gun on our trips. Neither my wife nor I have ever owned a gun. There are probably other members here in a similar situation...

Today I visited 2 local gun shops hoping they might provide an education and steer me towards an intelligent purchase decision...that didn't work. I did observe that gun shops are very busy these days mostly serving customers who already know what they are looking for. I'm confident the trusty (or is it crusty?) members here can steer us novices in the right direction.

Some questions...
- Is there an easy answer to the best starter gun for a novice to carry in an RV for self-defense?
- Is there a gun that can be carried in all 50 states?
- Do I need a permit? What kind?
- Where in the RV is the best place to keep it? I'm thinking under the fold-up part of the bed?
- Any other thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Requirements for purchasing a gun is governed by each state. There are different requirements for hand guns vs long guns. It is the person in possession of the firearm to know the requirements for each state one is in or traveling through. Some states require safety courses prior to purchasing, others do not. Unless an active or retired law enforcement officer you will not be allowed to carry a hand gun in all 50 states. It becomes complicated trying to follow the law.

I would suggest finding a gun shop or range that offers a safety course to attend. This will give you an idea of whether you want to purchase, the requirements for your state and the complexity of traveling thru different states.

@BuckyII … I am sure not a expert in this field by any means but we do travel armed. We first both obtained our concealed weapon permits which I would recommend you do if you head in this direction. In addition to having several hand guns we always take a 20 gauge shotgun. It is a junior model which means it is shorter and easier to maneuver with inside the coach. The one we bought is a Stoeger Condor Over/Under which means we have two (2) shells loaded. I just bought a Sig Sauer P365 9MM pistol which is the gun I plan to carry and my wife has a Smith & Wesson 642LS .38 revolver. Again I am only saying what we do … and like everything else there are numerus opinions on this subject.

FLSteve

@BuckyII good on you for taking the right steps. Training is very important so no matter what you buy follow that up with a gun safety course, go shoot it among instructors, etc. I think you'll get a gazillion opinions on guns. If I was to choose I'd suggest the Springfield Armory 4.5inch barrel XDM 9mm. It's my favorite.

There is an app called Legal Heat you may want to check out.

Where to store it? That depends on how quickly you may need to access it. In a safe locked? In the storage under the nightstand? Know the rules of transporting a weapon in your state, typically it needs to be unloaded in the back of your vehicle. Now a MH, a vehicle or a house?

It comes down to your judgment for self-defense and access. Google is your friend, it's complicated, just be careful out there and you're doing the right thing.

I bought my recent shotgun (need for AK as you can't have handguns) a Remington 870 and my recent Kimber from Cabelas.

Here is a 50 state guide. Gun Laws By State: The Complete and Updated Guide

Regarding which type of firearm, you need to determine what firearm you can become proficient with quickly through dedicated training and fits your specific situation and needs.

Thanks everyone...great information. I have some homework to do...

Neither my wife nor I have ever owned a gun.
Since this is the case, I urge you to take some time to learn about the ramifications of owning and, potentially, using one for self-defense.

For starters, consider whether you are psychologically willing and able to take a life. That's the bottom line when having a firearm for self-defense purposes. You hope to never be faced with that prospect, but if you are not prepared to do so without hesitation when the situation arises, look for other alternatives. It is a sobering thought, but one that needs to be faced honestly.

Then, you will need both training and regular practice to ensure that when called upon to use your firearm, you can do so effectively. Once the decision is made to use a firearm, the objective is to end the threat quickly and efficiently. I know that sounds clinical, but when you are in that situation, YOUR life depends on it.

And, not only are there legal ramifications to buying and possessing a firearm (especially a handgun), but there can be very serious ramifications to using it, even for self-defense. As others have said, laws vary widely between states and you had better be well-versed on the laws of the state where you might be called upon to use a firearm in self-defense. Unfortunately, defending yourself can extract a pretty serious price if you violate state firearms laws in doing so.

Not trying to deter you from buying a firearm, just suggesting that there is more to it than is commonly thought.

TJ

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with TJ. If you do choose to take the path of owning a firearm you might consider insurance designed specifically for your protection. If you happen to be forced into a situation of self defense, even if legal and justified, attorney fees mount quickly. And if you are on the road, who do you call?

You might consider one of these;

- Is there an easy answer to the best starter gun for a novice to carry in an RV for self-defense?
In my opinion, carrying in an RV is irrelevant when it comes to what’s best. The best gun to carry is the one you are most comfortable with.
- Is there a gun that can be carried in all 50 states?
Typically long guns such as rifles and shotguns are the least heavily regulated. Handguns are a mixed bag state to state.
- Do I need a permit? What kind?
For a run of the mill long rifle or shotgun, no permit is likely to be needed so long as you keep the weapon unloaded and out of immediate reach of the drivers seat. For a handgun, a FL resident concealed carry permit will prevent most problems.
- Where in the RV is the best place to keep it? I'm thinking under the fold-up part of the bed?
Wherever you think is a secure, rapidly accessible location.
- Any other thoughts/ideas appreciated.
Shooters World in Orlando is top notch. I know it’s a bit of a hike for you but it’s really a great place for a novice to learn in a safe, welcoming and well supervised environment. They have free classes with range time, the prices are decent, range is top notch and you can rent just about anything to try it out.

@BuckyII, some more thoughts after a night of sleep!

Almost all locations have gun ranges, indoor and/or outdoor. It can be a new hobby in your RV travels to go there and have some fun while learning at the same time. But with that said this is a great place to seek out as most have courses for new gun owners they also have guns you can rent for use on the range so you can experiment. So if this is something you want to more slowly research and take time to try out guns, lookup your nearby gun range and start there. Just pop in and ask them the questions you asked here, tell them your concerns, and they will give you great guidance. They will likely sell new and used as well and you don't have to buy from them, again, they are great places to learn, play, gain experience and confidence with anything you decide to buy, learn how to clean them, etc.

In the short term, consider pepper spray or bear spray, just pay careful attention on which end is the bad end :) I think most that have guns for self-defense have them because they also like sport/hobby shooting as well. If you buy strictly for self-defense and have not had guns having one may just add to your stress add this to your consideration and hopefully going to a local gun range or even gun shop and asking questions may help ease your mind as to what to do.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back