RV Model
Imagine 2970RL
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2021 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Fulltimer
No
NEED ADVICE

New travel trailer after looking at following specs do I need to upgrade to a Ram 2500? If so would you get Turbo Diesel or 6.4 gas? Any advice would help me out.

EQUALIZER SWAY/DISTRIBUTION HITCH

Thanks

Karen Baker

2021 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi Etorque Axle Ratio 3.92

GVWR – 6900

Payload – 1760

Base weight -total – 5136

Front – 2983

Rear – 2153

GAWR –

Front – 3700

Rear - 4100

CTCWR – 17000

MAX TRAILER WEIGHT – 11,370

2021 Grand Design 2970RL

Length = 34 feet

Dry Weight – 7397

Payload – 1598

GVWR – 8995

Hitch Weight - 751

No you should be fine. i Would put load leveling system On it if you will be in high winds high traffic roads etc or long tows. If you are not going far or fast maybe not your truck is more than rated for it.
and something to think about after you have it would be air bags. There not cheap if you have remote controlled air pump. But I kind of like mine on my smaller truck but will most likely put them on my one ton dually because you can at the push of a button fix a lot of bounce and sway not to mention level out for varying loads without finding air.

First, Welcome!

I agree with LSG. Remember the hitch weight is dry weight. When loaded should be around #900 so load accordingly. truck payload is 1760 so you can, including passenger weight (add 800 max) to the truck payload while towing, although I like keeping that at 80%. What I am saying is the family can go along for the ride.

My 5.7 /w 8 speed is a great hauler even in the 11000 ft mountains. With the "E" addition it should prove even better. Adding to LSG's post I would add that high winds are a disaster waiting to happen with any high profile rig. that said plan your trips and stay safe.

Sorry but IMHO I respectfully disagree with above.
The brakes and the trans cooler will help with safe towing. Also your Payload seems small on the truck by the time you get the tongue weight, hitch weight, and any gear/accessories in the truck bed not to mention other passengers.
whether you get a diesel or gas is a big dispute between owners. Most people that go diesel never go back to gas but for me, it’s my daily driver and I don’t want all the upfront costs into owning a diesel so my 3/4 ton gas is great.

Sorry but IMHO I respectfully disagree with above.
The brakes and the trans cooler will help with safe towing. Also your Payload seems small on the truck by the time you get the tongue weight, hitch weight, and any gear/accessories in the truck bed not to mention other passengers.
whether you get a diesel or gas is a big dispute between owners. Most people that go diesel never go back to gas but for me, it’s my daily driver and I don’t want all the upfront costs into owning a diesel so my 3/4 ton gas is great.
Please tell me more. How would you add a transmission cooler to a ZF transmission? What truck manual tells you that without trailer brakes the truck has limited tow capacity (all), no matter what the truck size is. On occasion I feel compelled to respond. Please do your research if you want to help someone with proper information.

I simply meant that a 3/4 ton truck usually comes out of the factory with bigger/better brakes than a 1/2 ton truck...as well as a transmission cooler.

I simply meant that a 3/4 ton truck usually comes out of the factory with bigger/better brakes than a 1/2 ton truck...as well as a transmission cooler.
I can appreciate that. the brakes are bigger and better, however i would not sell a larger truck when the truck in question is engineered for much more weight than is needed for the trailer in question. The 1 ton chevy I have has comments on adding a trans cooler for weights over #xxxx lbs. On my RAM the trans cooler is on the transmission using water from the cooling system. To tow over 2000# the trailer must have brakes. Take that how you want to but I take it that the brakes are designed for GVW +2000#.

My RAM has a DID that can be set up for trans information.

I have always been a proponent of buy more truck than you currently need. So when you up the game, then you have the truck that meets the need.

The spec’s on the truck in question look within the ability and then some. I do agree the payload on the truck seemed lower than what I would have guessed. But if you truly don’t think the payload will come into close range, then no issue.

It depends on more than a few things:
Is your tow vehicle your daily driver?
Can you put up with a rough ride day in and day out?
Do you mind towing at 60-65 mph?
Are you retired, and are going to be towing all over the US?
Or are you a weekend warrior?

I have a dedicated tow vehicle; a Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins diesel. It tows great and pulls like a freight train. But I have a car to drive every day. Driving my truck every day to work just wouldn't be my cup of tea. If I could only afford one, I would have to find a way to make a 1/2-ton truck work.

Not sure I would anymore agree with ride quality being a deterrent for a HD/SD truck as a daily driver. They ride quite well as compared to over 25 years ago. Yep, not a Cadillac but who needs to be that pretentious in life.

I have done off-roading and can you show you a real buckboard ride if you wish.

But then again, to each their own in life. Cars are truly dinosaurs now days. I believe to some who have a hard time with large vehicles should stick with them but in all reality, SUV and trucks are practical.

Latest resources

Back