Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Royboy

RVF Regular
Help! newb here…31’ Thor class C. Ford V10.Towing a vehicle turned into a lot more than I bargained on. We just want something small. Dolly? Flat? Brake actuators seem a little ridiculous. Adding tongue weight and 4 grand for electric dolly brakes seems excessive. Safety chains should be plenty on a roller skate dontcha think?

No, because if those chains fail then you are putting anyone near you on the road at risk of being hit by a 2-4000lb hunk of metal.
Even if they do not fail, your vehicle will be swerving in and out of the lane should your towbar or dolly fail, and that still puts innocent motorists at risk of serious injury or death.

Supplemental braking systems are required in most states. In most cases, any towed vehicle over 3,000lbs is required to have a supplemental braking system.
In New Hampshire, it is any towed vehicle that over 1,500lbs.

In some others, you are merely required to be able to achieve a certain stopping distance, supplemental system or not.

can you get away with it? Probably, at least for a while. You don’t see too many RVs getting pulled over and their tow vehicles inspected. But the risks and consequences are severe. I personally would never consider towing without a system that would stop my towed vehicle should there by a failure and I couldn’t be more discouraging of the practice. Some will do it. Some will get away with it. But every so often, disaster strikes and that person has to bear the weight of their actions or lack thereof.

check out this resource for more info: Flat Towing Law - Braking Systems

Last edited:
Tow dolly is probably the cheapest way to tow IMHO.

Latest resources

Back