skychs

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3636
RV Length
The wife and I got into a discussion last night regarding how long we could continue to drive, maintain and enjoy this RV life style. Assuming no major medical issues how old is too old?

For me (64) the wife thinks I’m good to around 75 years old.

I think it’s a function of your health and medical conditions. There are people in their early 80’s (my next door neighbor) out there driving class A’s seeing and enjoying this great country. I also met another guy earlier this year who was 78 driving a Prevost bus conversion.

It’s a person by person basis and not a real number that is a hard line in the sand In my opinion.

I think it’s a function of your health and medical conditions. There are people in their early 80’s (my next door neighbor) out there driving class A’s seeing and enjoying this great country. I also met another guy earlier this year who was 78 driving a Prevost bus conversion.

It’s a person by person basis and not a real number that is a hard line in the sand In my opinion.
@sheridany is right on the mark! If your health is good and you aren't having any issues with focus, attention span, etc. then you will be just fine. I just had my 80th birthday back in September and feel like I can still drive our 40' coach safely and responsibly. When I start to have any doubts, I'll turn in my keys. My dad continued to drive large equipment haulers (semi trucks) into his early 90s, so maybe there's a little hope for me too. ;)

TJ

My Dad did his last cross country RV trip when he was 87, probably he was pushing it but made it with o issues. I agree with @sheridany it is an individual decision based on both mental and physical condition. I’m not putting an age limit on my RV career, time will tell?

Been driving a diesel pusher since I was 60. I just turned 76 and things have changed a bit. I don’t plan long days of driving anymore. Now 250-300 is about my max. And creeping forgetfulness can rear its ugly head from time to time. Lists and a good copilot have helped alleviate that issue. Otherwise, we travel about 10-12k/year and are not full timers and plan to continue rving for manny years to come as long as our health allows it.

You guys are giving me encouragement. Just turned 74, and knock on wood, in good health/shape.

Looking to buy a small trailer, Rockwood 2205S, even though this is one of the worst times to buy with the high demand and more and more campgrounds filling up, but I don't want to wait. I want to go while I can still see and do things.

Happy trails to all.

I was called a kid at a campground by another camper. I commented that nobody has called me a kid for over 45 years. He said he was 85 and to him we were all kids. His rig? Big DP.

At another campground, there was a couple sitting outside in weather that was too cold for my wife and frankly not comfortable for me to sit outside. But, they came to camp and she was wrapped in a blanket sitting out there. I forget his age. She was 95 - survived cancer and I think a heart attack, but still going strong. I think he was a few years younger. He was still overseeing his auto repair shop. They were in a trailer, but camping, none-the less.

If you can still do it safely, go for it. I only started this at age sixty, so I hope I will be able to continue until 95 or later.

WOW, At 74 & 67, we are mere "youngsters"!;)
Our plan is to travel until such time that health, physical issues, or mental issues, preclude doing so!
Then turn in the keys, & settle down!:cool:

Latest resources

Back