Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Adeakins

RVF Regular
I have a 2020 F350 dually w/7.3 gas engine. It tows a 2018 Keystone Montana 3791 weighing in at around 16k lbs. I have almost 20,000 miles on the truck and have been watching the front tires wear on the outer edges. I’ve had it in for alignments twice. First Ford dealer said it wasn’t out of alignment. Second Ford dealer did perform an alignment but said it was only slightly in need of alignment. The negative camber problem persists so I recently took it to a third Ford dealer. After asking me questions neither of the first two dealers asked, he said I shouldn’t bother with alignment, I needed an air suspension for the rear to keep the truck level. He went on to describe that, while I am operating well within the specs for the truck, towed weight tends to lift the front of the truck into a negative camber that having it aligned without that weight — ie, having the trailer attached — would be wasted money. So, I’m on the hunt for an after market air suspension that will remedy my problem without, hopefully, breaking the bank. Otherwise, my front tires are “consumables” to be replaced every 15~20 thousand miles. Not to mention the safety and drivability issues having your front wheels floating across the road surface suggest. So, I’m seeking any experience others may have in this area and recommendations as to what kind of product will help here.

You probably want something from 2021 Ford F-350 Super Duty Pickup 4 WHEEL DRIVE Truck Air Bag Suspension Kits.

unfortunately, it’s hard for me to imagine too many F350 air suspension kits being available in the used market. Folks tend to install them and drive the trucks til the wheels fall off, or leave em on when they sell the truck because it’s such an involved install and removal.

Last edited:
Thanks. Any idea how expensive the Air Lift solutions might be?
Couldn’t tell you. I’d wager few if any could. Call a few local dealers from the website and get a quote. It’s going to vary. Never take the lowest quote.

Point taken and thanks. It would be interesting to understand the design logic Ford applied when designing the suspension systems on these trucks. If an air system is the answer here, why not just build that into the base requirements? When someone buys a truck configured like mine, they’re meant to pull or carry weight that will bear down on the rear of the truck. That the current design does not do that without lifting the front wheels is, to my mind, a design flaw. I’m sure there’s a story there. Again, thanks for your help in this.

Probably cost I would say. Dodge has an air suspension option but for whatever reason, Ford’s bean counters probably decided that consumers might scoff at that extra cost or that it’s be an option not selected at high enough volumes to make worthwhile

I have a 2020 F350 dually w/7.3 gas engine. It tows a 2018 Keystone Montana 3791 weighing in at around 16k lbs. I have almost 20,000 miles on the truck and have been watching the front tires wear on the outer edges. I’ve had it in for alignments twice.
I have a 2021 F350 dually but with the 6.7 diesel. I thought all F350 dually Fords came with the max payload package (6,530 lbs.), but maybe if you get a gasser they don't. Even though I haven't had time to run across the scales yet, I'm guessing my 44' fiver has a tongue weight of around 4,400 to 4,600 pounds which would be a lot more than yours. My truck barely squats when I'm towing.

Air bags would certainly level you out. I used to pull a Montana fiver with a SRW 2012 F350 and it squatted the rear end a little. I had Firestone air bags installed on the rear with the compressor and gauge just below my steering column. After hooking up I could level the truck perfectly by only running about 40 pounds in those bags. If I recall correctly they were around $500 or $550 installed.

Coincidentally I am at Cap World of Orlando right now having my fiberglass high top installed. I noticed their Firestone airbags display on the counter and told the guy behind the counter about your predicament @Adeakins, and he said the entire setup, soup to nuts would probably be around $1500 installed.

8A88C3C9-A3B1-46AE-800D-513D8DE66388.jpeg

53EDB7CF-3287-433B-B5A8-E7896387C7C4.jpeg

Probably cost I would say. Dodge has an air suspension option but for whatever reason, Ford’s bean counters probably decided that consumers might scoff at that extra cost or that it’s be an option not selected at high enough volumes to make worthwhile
Ram may well have a leveling system but!!! my manual tells me they should be disabled when hauling. Don't have the air ride but I found that interesting.

Ram may well have a leveling system but!!! my manual tells me they should be disabled when hauling. Don't have the air ride but I found that interesting.
I have no clue what the purpose of that system would be then

Latest resources

Back