Alfa Ideal
RV Model
ID31RL 237
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
Fulltimer
Yes
Hi. I posted this in the general forum before finding this one after signing up. :) Hopefully I will get better results here, now that i'm in the right place for discussion.
Original post:
Hello.
We are new to full-timing, so we don't know a lot yet about how to find preferred routes. We do use an app with our rig details in order to avoid low bridges and narrow roads etc, and we've been happy with it. We were hoping to downsize our heavy rig this spring, but work calls earlier than expected and we're thinking of heading to Arkansas from Alabama. We will be going from Athens, AL to Russellville, AR. The Ozarks make me a bit nervous. I'm wondering if there's a series of highways we can look into that may avoid a difficult pull as much as possible. We can do mountains, and we did some in TN near Lawrenceburg and in Land Between the Lakes. However, I'm not sure how that will contrast with heading toward the Ozarks. Ultimately, we'd like to end up in London, AR, but I was told the campground there, Hillybilly Haven RV Park, is 6 miles up a mountain. I'm not sure if that's a steep fast climb or a low and slow. Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I live close to Russellville, we go down to Lake Dardanelle a lot. You will have no problems going to London Arkansas, it is only a few miles from Russellville, just off of I-40. Not sure where the campground is that you are going to. I would not worry about it. Very nice area, great be views of the Arkansas River and My Nebo. Do not go up MT Nebo in your Rv...... But, do go to the top.

I live close to Russellville, we go down to Lake Dardanelle a lot. You will have no problems going to London Arkansas, it is only a few miles from Russellville, just off of I-40. Not sure where the campground is that you are going to. I would not worry about it. Very nice area, great be views of the Arkansas River and My Nebo. Do not go up MT Nebo in your Rv...... But, do go to the top.
Are the roads near Hot Springs one hairpin turn after another? We are headed to the state parks (Lake Catherine, Petit jean, and Lake Ouachita). My husband hates driving on roads with one twist after another.

Hey there Donna, and welcome!

Not sure what your rig is. If you get some down time you may want to set up a signature with all that sort of info in it.

We have been full timing for a while now in motorhomes and fivers. I'll just tell you how we route plan/trip plan so we don't run into any 12' railroad overpasses or other types of roads big rigs can't be on.

I start by looking for a campground or a dry camping stop that suits my needs. I use RVParky as my initial app., Boondocking is a decent app but there isn't much on it yet. Passport America and its app is good too. We always check our Trucker's Atlas to make sure our route is on designated highways. The roads between the designated highways and our camping spot can be easily checked by using the satellite view on your phone mapping or google earth. Also, whatever our intended camp site destination is (private campground, state park, Walmart, Cabela, etc) I ALWAYS check the satellite view in advance to get an idea of how difficult it will be to get into or out of.

Another handy book is a little blue pocket size book, which I think is actually called "little blue book" of something like that. It is out in the truck right now and it is raining or I'd go look. This book will give you each and every truck stop and rest area on all major designated highways, which is handy when you are looking for a place to take a break. Anyway, both the Trucker's Atlas and blue book are sold at almost every major truck stop. We get the cheaper version of the Trucker's Atlas (paper).

Safe travels!

Hey there Donna, and welcome!

Not sure what your rig is. If you get some down time you may want to set up a signature with all that sort of info in it.

We have been full timing for a while now in motorhomes and fivers. I'll just tell you how we route plan/trip plan so we don't run into any 12' railroad overpasses or other types of roads big rigs can't be on.

I start by looking for a campground or a dry camping stop that suits my needs. I use RVParky as my initial app., Boondocking is a decent app but there isn't much on it yet. Passport America and its app is good too. We always check our Trucker's Atlas to make sure our route is on designated highways. The roads between the designated highways and our camping spot can be easily checked by using the satellite view on your phone mapping or google earth. Also, whatever our intended camp site destination is (private campground, state park, Walmart, Cabela, etc) I ALWAYS check the satellite view in advance to get an idea of how difficult it will be to get into or out of.

Another handy book is a little blue pocket size book, which I think is actually called "little blue book" of something like that. It is out in the truck right now and it is raining or I'd go look. This book will give you each and every truck stop and rest area on all major designated highways, which is handy when you are looking for a place to take a break. Anyway, both the Trucker's Atlas and blue book are sold at almost every major truck stop. We get the cheaper version of the Trucker's Atlas (paper).

Safe travels!
Would you mind jotting all that down on paper along with other good app suggestions for me? I'll forget! hahaha jk but thank you! I am sure others will find your suggestions as helpful as I do! I will add some travel apps to my collection and pick the best as I get more used to this travel thing. If only there were an app to tell me which campgrounds advertising wifi had actual working wifi. I know I know....how do i call myself a camper when I'm looking for wifi, BUT it's the world we live in I suppose, especially for working gigs part time. We were at a KOA in Alabama advertising free wifi. We could never get a signal at the site and the staff didn't really have any interest in resolving it. IE: reboot the modem or router blah blah. Anyway, I'll be looking into the Trucker's Atlas too. Husband loves old school so paper works for us! Ty! Great post.

Last edited:
Looks like several of us are up early!

My excuse is I heard a noise outside and when I investigated the park manager (who is missing a bunch of teeth) was shutting off the water to the whole campground. He said there was a water line break. We are in a old run down park next to a TA truck stop in Greenwood Louisiana.....BoyHowdy! They are friendly though.

We don't require much data usage so we have a pretty simple Verizon plan, using each of our iphones as hotspots. It gets us by along with sketchy "free" wifi at campgrounds. I gave up even asking about wifi when I call campgrounds years ago. I ask about the campground being paved or unpaved, hanging branches, size of sites, etc. Of course you don't always get accurate information from the call anyway. Sometimes the park manager or employee is outside for a smoke and their wife's sister's neighbor's cousin's daughter is answering the phone......

Safe traveling. We are doing tomorrow night down in Livingston Louisiana, then on to Robertsdale Alabama before heading to Florida.

Looks like several of us are up early!

My excuse is I heard a noise outside and when I investigated the park manager (who is missing a bunch of teeth) was shutting off the water to the whole campground. He said there was a water line break. We are in a old run down park next to a TA truck stop in Greenwood Louisiana.....BoyHowdy! They are friendly though.

We don't require much data usage so we have a pretty simple Verizon plan, using each of our iphones as hotspots. It gets us by along with sketchy "free" wifi at campgrounds. I gave up even asking about wifi when I call campgrounds years ago. I ask about the campground being paved or unpaved, hanging branches, size of sites, etc. Of course you don't always get accurate information from the call anyway. Sometimes the park manager or employee is outside for a smoke and their wife's sister's neighbor's cousin's daughter is answering the phone......

Safe traveling. We are doing tomorrow night down in Livingston Louisiana, then on to Robertsdale Alabama before heading to Florida.
Nice! We are no longer heading to Arkansas, but since I couldn't find how to delete my post and because it may help others, I left it here, and lookie lookie (looky looky?)! Side chats! ha Happy travels!

Are the roads near Hot Springs one hairpin turn after another? We are headed to the state parks (Lake Catherine, Petit jean, and Lake Ouachita). My husband hates driving on roads with one twist after another

Are the roads near Hot Springs one hairpin turn after another? We are headed to the state parks (Lake Catherine, Petit jean, and Lake Ouachita). My husband hates driving on roads with one twist after another.
I don't think your husband will enjoy Hwy 7. It's a very pretty drive, but, it's a very twisty road. I see a lot of campers doing it, but you have to take your time. No need to get in a hurry.. it's not a long drive between Russellville and Hot Springs, but it will take you a at least and hour and a half.

I don't think your husband will enjoy Hwy 7. It's a very pretty drive, but, it's a very twisty road. I see a lot of campers doing it, but you have to take your time. No need to get in a hurry.. it's not a long drive between Russellville and Hot Springs, but it will take you a at least and hour and a half.
I just read your post again. I was thinking you were driving from Russellville to Hot Springs. If your asking about the roads around town, they are not bad. Very pretty area, leave your 5th wheel at camp and go downtown to Central Ave. Park and walk around. Roads to the lakes are good also. He will not have any problems

@CluelessCampers If your from Athens Al. Were not to far away. We live just above Florence Al across the state line in TN. PM me if you ever want to get together and talk.

Latest resources

Back