Chassis
Spartan K2
Engine
Cummins ISL9
TOW/TOAD
2023 GMC Sierra
Fulltimer
Yes
We are returning to Alaska this summer and will highlight places, campgrounds and events along the way.

Day 1
Border Crossing was at Coutts which is I-15 north of Great Falls, MT. We spent the night before crossing at Great Falls RV Park (formerly Dick’s RV Park) which is a common place to for people to stop. I had been warned by friends who returned home to Alaska about 3 weeks ago that the park had gone downhill but figured we could handle 1 night, on our return to lower 48 I will try and find alternate campground.
Crossing was very easy, ArriveCAN application is required and notification of crossing is submitted 72 hours in advance. Personal information including passport, vaccination status and reason for travel is entered in the app notifying customs details in advance and they provide a confirmation which you are advised to have with you at the border. The usual question about firearms, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, etc were asked and we must of provided correct answers as we were allowed to proceed.

864830C0-EC25-476E-8281-A0C2B8CD637C.jpeg

Will follow up with additional stops as soon as I get a chance and have better internet

Our first stop after crossing the border was Grandview RV Park in Granum, AB. Nice park with a small lake, driving range and golf course. Narrow roads within the park some trees, 30A service and WiFi. Haven’t been on 30A service for sometime and need to watch electrical consumption as two do have load shed and the battery charger will drop off line. Inverter provides some assisting allowing us to exceed the 30A, so this does take some monitoring.

Park WiFi was pretty good 4mbps average
AT&T fair
T-mobile zero
Verizon NA

Sorry no pictures as we had Canadian friends bring dinner and visit.

SH*T Happens

We are traveling with friends that have an Entegra Anthem and about an hour after crossing border I saw in my mirror there was something sticking up on their roof. We had 25-35 mph crosswind and was thinking it might be air conditioning cover, I saw a church parking lot that was wide open and pulled in. Sure enough their middle ac cover was sticking up. Upon investigation 3 of the 4 bolts holding the cover on will still there however the structure that it was bolted to was missing some bolts allowing both too be lifted from the wind. After sometime looking thru spare bolts and nuts I carry we found exactly what we needed. After about 1.5 hours we were back on the road.

Day 2 after crossing the border we were going to get fuel just west of Edmonton and as I was waiting to turn left on the road the station was on an approaching semi went thru the intersection, sure enough a rock hit the windshield leaving a nice bullseye a little over the size of a quarter. We hadn’t even gotten to the Allan highway😡

After fueling we went to the RV park which was only 15 min away. Once there and setup I get out the Permatex windshield repair kit I carry and set out to see how well it would work. Surprisingly it was fairly easy to use and looks to have filled in well and hardly noticeable.

Lesson to all this is make sure you have spares as sh*t happens. I’m hoping I don’t need the second repair kit I have.

Second night stay was at Diamond Grove RV Park in Spruce Grove, Alberta. Nice campground with full hookup, 50A service. Yes satellite TV still working.
201CBA94-F44A-4C9D-AA60-558899286199.jpeg
98426FE6-21BE-4880-B771-188DAC05F2D8.jpeg

Trying to catch up on our whereabouts, 3 nights stay is at Sherk’s RV Park in Valleyview, AB. We stayed here in 2019 and this is a very well maintained park.

Park WiFi is good (not many here)
T-Mobile is okay, finally figured out I need to turn roaming data on
AT&T is fair
Satellite still working

There is RV washing allowed using the site pictured with concrete slab as it has drains.

Just an update on fuel as we filled up in Great Falls, MT at 5.22 at Love’s using TSD/EFS card.
Fuel in West Edmonton was at Petro Canada card lock station using TSD/EFS card, no discounts in Canada but $5.26

Next stop Dawson Creek, start of the Alaska Highway

43B52940-6E38-42D1-9416-55488CD8B7FD.jpeg
5494084D-6D9A-4840-ABF3-A43D6F6B2991.jpeg

This is a great travel log. Alaska is on my list, hopefully for 2023 so this is all good info.

@NWIP ... thanks for taking time to do this thread. Great information. I bookmarked it so I can follow along.

FLSteve :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Dawson Creek
We are staying at Northern Lights RV Park here, total of 3 nights.

Satellite still works
Park WiFi okay
AT&T fair (1-2 bars)
T-Mobile Good, 68mbps down 28mbps up

This is the start of the Alaska Hwy and plenty of things to see. Obviously the sign, Northern Alberta Railway museum, murals in town, Walter Wright Pioneer Village and the old Kiskatinaw Bridge.

There is also a Walmart, Safeway, auto parts, home improvement store and pretty much any kind of repair place one might need.

D36EAD13-B491-4C36-99AB-60654AE48710.jpeg
56324D5C-0780-4FCE-AEE4-2DDD98F8CDD9.jpeg
D49BDE3E-DD43-41BD-9ADB-DF02F5E0AB60.jpeg
709A3028-E595-499C-8D5D-EFEF59E27733.jpeg

Love the photos and following your journey via your log here at RVF @NWIP. This thread is part of my morning ritual now. Wishing ya'll safe travels and tons of fun!!! 😊

@NWIP - suggestion. Can you also include images (screenshots, whatever) of your routes so we can see how you get to where you're going? Gracias

Latest resources

Back