Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Am I crazy, or is this not 5/8" plywood flooring?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Yillbs

RVF Regular
My RV is supposed to have 5/8" flooring, I noticed lately ( it's a new unit ) that the floor was a bit spongy. So, I measured the plywood... Am I missing something here or did I get duped.

Attachments

• IMG-2794.jpg
    IMG-2794.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
My RV is supposed to have 5/8" flooring, I noticed lately ( it's a new unit ) that the floor was a bit spongy. So, I measured the plywood... Am I missing something here or did I get duped.

You think 5/8" plywood should be smaller than half an inch? I don't understand your response.
I was just giving you the standard sizes, all of which are smaller than nominal.

Also, it appears to me that your tape measure may not actually be at the bottom of the plywood, but it's hard to tell for sure from the photo.

So, I just replied with the standard sizes and you can see if you were given less than promised.

I was just giving you the standard sizes, all of which are smaller than nominal.

Also, it appears to me that your tape measure may not actually be at the bottom of the plywood, but it's hard to tell for sure from the photo.

So, I just replied with the standard sizes and you can see if you were given less than promised.
I've attached a mil tool that measures considerably more accurately than my tape measurer. Their are two images. One is the floor thickness with the laminate on top, the second is the thickness of the laminate by itself. The entire thing is 0.56 inches, the floor is 0.049 inches thick, this means the actual size of the floor is 0.49 inches, which would be in line with 1/2 in thick plywood. I have tons of it at my house, and when I measure it, it's between 0.48 inches, and 0.51 inches, so I'm confident this is just half inch thick plywood. I guess my question is, is this normal to market something and then you get this. Surely the variation in sizes isn't THIS much?

Attachments

• IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2796.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Seems a bit thin to me. The more I shop, the more I'm disappointed with the available quality seemingly from all makes. The quality of the dealers isn't so great either in my experience so far.

Seems a bit thin to me. The more I shop, the more I'm disappointed with the available quality seemingly from all makes. The quality of the dealers isn't so great either in my experience so far.
The easy solution to this is going to be for them to place braces between the joists, so I'm confident that'll do it, it's just about how hard I push forest river now I guess. I've actually been really happy with the overall quality of this particular RV thus far!

Braces should help for sure. I know Forest River has a brand or two under their massive umbrella, I may just be looking at too cheap of campers to have seen anything of significant quality yet.

Braces should help for sure. I know Forest River has a brand or two under their massive umbrella, I may just be looking at too cheap of campers to have seen anything of significant quality yet.
I went into this purchase knowing it was an entry level 5th wheel. I paid 51k OTD on a trailer that was 65k everywhere else, so I got a good deal during covid. It's the cheapest 43 foot camper that's a mid bunk I think you can buy, but if you go into it knowing it's not made like a tank, it should be fine I would think. Me, my wife, and my two kids love it, it's huge.

I was surprised to find a 2x is really less than 2x4. It is all marketing.

Latest resources

Back