Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Swissmiss

RVF Regular
Are there any resorts for seniors in the south that are upscale but do NOT have planned events - bingo, exercise etc?? We enjoy spending the winters in the south (Florida) but do not need to be entertained OR feel like we should participate. Some of the ways they try to keep retired RV campers busy are almost insulting. I mean we are not in assisted living for goodness sake! We are young retirees (61-60). Just low-key, nice surroundings would be perfect! Am I alone in this feeling? Any suggestions?

Just because they are available does not compel you to participate, nor need you feel guilty for not participating. Do what you like to do and enjoy camping in whatever style you choose.

We have found that by not staying in commercial camps, we avoid the type of people that want to be entertained. If you go to a "resort" they are going to offer entertainment.
COE, National, State, and local parks offer nature, peace, and quiet.

We have found that by not staying in commercial camps, we avoid the type of people that want to be entertained. If you go to a "resort" they are going to offer entertainment.
COE, National, State, and local parks offer nature, peace, and quiet.
Thank you. Yes I can see what you are saying, Dan. Maybe I need to focus more on that type of campground.

Just because they are available does not compel you to participate, nor need you feel guilty for not participating. Do what you like to do and enjoy camping in whatever style you choose.
Eh easy to say, but it still makes you feel some sort of way if you are not involved in the events. Like everyone is noticing and wondering what your deal is. You know? Thanks AbdRahim.
I appreciate the response :)

Eh easy to say, but it still makes you feel some sort of way if you are not involved in the events. Like everyone is noticing and wondering what your deal is. You know? Thanks AbdRahim.
I appreciate the response :)
I don't know your location, @Swissmiss, but you're welcome at Deer Springs RV Park any ol time. We're all about quiet out here. :) Of course, you'll have to wait until nest season (May 1st - Nov 3rd). :)

www.deerspringsrvpark.com

Exactly, and once in a while you might get bored and feel like steppin‘ out a bit and doin’ something slilly, and if that happens maybe you’ll appreciate the crafts class, line dancing, pot luck, doing whatever, and let yer hair down a bit. It could happen…

Exactly, and once in a while you might get bored and feel like steppin‘ out a bit and doin’ something slilly, and if that happens maybe you’ll appreciate the crafts class, line dancing, pot luck, doing whatever, and let yer hair down a bit. It could happen…
Haha! Very intuitive. I like your style!

I think the way to feel better about this is find larger campgrounds. If you're in a smaller community people may seek you out more to attend events. For comparison, Palm Creek, AZ is huge and has a lot of events but you can do your own thing or do something they offer, entirely up to you, but there is no pressure to do anything. Smaller locations such as when I was in Pagosa Springs, CO, people noticed me not doing what others do as I was involved in replacing TV's, etc. and quite frankly didn't want to do some of the dining socials. When I finally got out to drive up to Ouray my neighbor stopped by who was paying particular attention to my activities, or lack thereof, and I told him to tell everyone I drove to Ouray today! As a joke.

So in thinking through your dilemma, consider the size of the campground you're going to and that may help you out. Also realize campgrounds that restrict to 55 and over are more likely to be as you describe.

Latest resources

Back