Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Anyone have experience troubleshooting powered night shades?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
This morning, I found one of the living room night shades up. It usually operates as part of a room group from a couple of different SilverLeaf switch panels. The bad one will not go up or down and is the only one in the living room group that isn't working, so I suspect it is not a fuse. Probably a failed motor.

Do the individual shades come out out as a unit or is the motor a separate piece? I can't see well enough up under the valance to determine that and I don't want to break anything. Do they just snap in and out or is there some other magic trick needed? And, are the motors replaceable, or does the whole shade unit have to be replaced?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

TJ

I believe the MA shades are Auto-Motion shades, but I’m confused as my 2018 MA shades are not controllable from Silverleaf (or are they). I have KIB switches on the wall to control them. Do I need to enable some Silverleaf capability?

I’ve had the aft bed shade go made and it was replaced under warranty, so I don’t have much insight there. I did remove the drivers shade as it was rattling. There is a two wire connector for each motor. It’s wasn’t KIB controlled. Instead there was a rocker switch above the driver height shade) and on center console (day shade).

Once the shade is removed, the motor slides out of the tube (my motor was loose and thus making the rattling noises).

The day/night shade assemble comes out as a unit. Once removed, I believe I removed a plate on one end to separate the two shades from the bracket. The shade assembly is mounted with two pressure type brackets.

You are probably correct, @flyboy013; they may not be integrated into SilverLeaf. I was thinking that the KIB switch panels may have some SL connection but I don't find any configuration settings in the SL panel.

I believe they are Auto-Motion shades. Since we are now out of warranty, I'll have to pony up for the replacement. Tomorrow, I will remove the valance (looks like only 4 screws) and that will allow me to get a better look at what I'm dealing with.

Did it appear to you that the motor in the day/night units are replaceable or does the entire shade assembly need to be replaced?

TJ

I did a quick Google search and came across this website that sells replacement motors. I would hope that Auto-Motion sells the motors too.
I recall reading about the high price of replacement motors and alternative sources. Let me see if I can find the old thread.

Update: Auto-Motion website states that they do not sell replacement motors.

Last edited:
I did a quick Google search and came across this website that sells replacement motors. I would hope that Auto-Motion sells the motors too.
I recall reading about the high price of replacement motors and alternative sources. Let me see if I can find the old thread.
Great minds think alike! I just found the same website. The motors are a bit pricey, but when you need one, you need one.

TJ

Here’s the thread I recalled seeing.

In the thread I posted above, the person talks about taking a dremel to modify some plastic piece. Check out this webpage. (Search for 3D). It talks about the same issue, but provides files to 3D print what I think is the piece instead of modifying it with a dremel.

Thanks; interesting read. I'm not that adventurous, however, so will likely go with the BraDDandHall replacement unit.

TJ

Latest resources

Back