Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Anyone using 10 meter Ham Radio in RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Considering getting a dedicated Ham radio for traveling. Thinking seriously about 10 meter and/or 11 meter radio. A HF radio would be nice, but must be economical. The goal is a useful (Prepper type of useful), monitor travel information (from Truckers), 11 meter (Export mod if needed), and entertaining.
I have been exploring WinLink, emails and Text, of late and find in the Wild I'd probably need something with more than 5W on 2 meters.
Something simple like a Stryker, President Lincoln II +, or stepping up to the ICON 7100? The ICON 7300 would be perfect if it was not out of the budget. Also, worried about vibration. A dedicated Base Station type radio like the ICON 7300 might not survive the pounding of RV life while the Stryker, President Lincoln or even the 7100, are designed for Mobile applications.

Thoughts??

Last edited:
Although I haven't installed it yet, I've got an ICOM IC-706 MKIIG that I plan to use. That covers 11-meters for CB, 2-meters for the times I"m in the RV park, and all the other HF freqs as well. The big problem right now is which antenna's to use and where to mount them. I also have an AT-7000 antenna tuner that works super and I plan to use it to store (and get access to) frequently used CB channels when on the move.

I think both the radio and tuner are reasonably priced as well.

Icom IC-706 Mark IIG, Icom 706, 706MarkIIG

Last edited:
I, too, have a IC-706 Mk IIG (and a Yaesu FT-857) that I am considering installing in the coach. I'll be interested in the antenna that you select.

TJ

i'm thinking a simple vertical will do. Or a multi band dipole with tunable Ham sticks.

Here is a couple of Local, to me, Hams testing the multi band Dipole I am looking at for mobile and base station operations, Chameleon. Breaks down to a very small kit but easy to set up and has good radiating power. The Chameleon products are typically built to Mil Spec standard rather than the cheap Chinese stuff. My thinking is heavy duty in a RV is better than cheap stuff.
Personally the plan is to not use a tuner but rather plan and tune for specific frequencies.
Eric, KJ4YZI, tests all sorts of equipment. https://chameleonantenna.com/

i'm thinking a simple vertical will do. Or a multi band dipole with tunable Ham sticks.
What HF vertical would you use for 11-meters, and how would you mount it so that you can use it while traveling?

The President McKinley CB radio has the SWR-Meter adjustment tone built in! Just came across this review.

I only have a tech license. The 11m is interesting to add the cb, and still have a capable 2m/70cm.

Does this radio have multiple antenna inputs for various frequency?

Latest resources

Back