RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I was think of purchasing a couple Air Tags and put one on my wife's keys. I thought a great idea would be to put one in the Jeep so we go to unfamiliar areas we can use it find the Jeep. Then I found they don't use WIFI but only Bluetooth 5 which has a max range of 800 feet if you have clear site line. A little research I found that when someone with a iPhone walks by the car the Air Tag will connect to the iPhone and send the location back to Apple so the Find Me app can use the location. I had no idea that Air Tags can access your phone and use your WIFI to send locations of someone Air Tag that you don't even know. Hmmmm.

Yes, supposedly the iphone does not send or receive data from the air tag other than location. And the airtag also does not. That’s what ‘they’ (Apple) says. But what do I know. I only know if big brother is watching me ‘he’ must be awfully bored. So I have one my coach, one on my briefcase and soon on my dogs.
Cheers

Does disabling bluetooth prevent your iPhone from chatting it up with every AirTag we pass by?

Does disabling bluetooth prevent your iPhone from chatting it up with every AirTag we pass by?
In theory yes, but in reality no. All radios in modern era smartphones are on and active regardless of phone on/off status. (your phone no longer has a removable battery). They market it as a safety feature (your stolen phone can be found even if its turned off) but it is no bueno for privacy.

Yeah, check out a previous thread on AirTags...we bantered the concept of range.

I also posted some nice Pelican holders.

Latest resources

Back