Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Are sleep number mattresses a good idea for RV's?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
While I haven't hated my sleep number mattress and for the most part like it, the fact that every move with a different elevation requires an adjustment, or in my case going downhill and now in the Las Cruces area it's quite different from Colorado. This requires a deflate and inflate to get it back to my desired setting. You would think if it was set to 70% which is where I like it that it would auto adjust to be at a certain PSI. Obviously sleep number as well as others don't think about their mattresses changing addresses weekly.

With that said, it makes me wonder if this is really the right mattress for me and RVing and may have to consider a "normal" mattress like a tempur-pedic or something in the future.

We noticed even up in NC mountains but decided to just adjust it when required. Quite a difference in mattress out there I would imagine.

Only thing we’ve ever had in 15 years and love it. Sure you have to deflate/inflate every now and then but you have all kinds of little tasks associated with rving. Just ride with it.

I recently broke the air valve going into the mattress on our ancient Sleep Number in the RV so we ordered a replacement. The new models do exactly what you are talking about, even our new one in the sticks and bricks will adjust daily, and it even adjusts when you roll over. The new pump is silent (I have no idea how they did that, our old one sounded like shop vac when it was operated). We love them with the exception of it takes a smart phone app to adjust them now.

Any details on what you ordered and cost for the RV style?

We went with the 360 P5 ( the 5 due to thickness). Long story but it is just their residential version and we have an adjustable platform we found that claimed to be for rv. It wound up being taller than I had planned for so the 10 inch thick mattress doesn’t quite clear the wardrobes when we close the slide. One of the thicker ones would work fine if just sitting on the standard bed box. We love it and it’s very comfortable. Dual chambers so we both can pick a soft or firm that works for us, and if you change sides of the bed you just change the sleeper in their app, it does all the adjusting for you.

Last edited:
Sleep number beds are a love or hate affair. We love ours and we reduce the air down to 5 or 10 pounds on travel days and back to our comfort setting when we arrive.

Hi Gizmo, the new 360 smart app version seems to be self regulating. Not sure if that was intended, or just part of how it adjusts now.

Interesting thread as good idea or not, the new coach will have a Sleep-Number mattress!

even with the hassles I still think its worth it. We deflate to 30% if crossing a high mountain pass, so its common out west, but once we cross the Rockies, its not that much of an issue.

Latest resources

Back