Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
we are about to go up to Oregon and I have been thinking about getting a Hughes autoformer to carry along after reading @ARD having success with it. I was thinking about the following set up and tell me if this is overkill.
  1. I have 50 amp extension cord I carry with me.
  2. I was going to plug in my Hughes Watchdog surge into the pole (after I test it) and then connect the extension cord and run it back to the electric bay where I would connect the cord to the autoformer and then connect to RV cord to the autoformer on the input side.
  3. The reason for this is to protect it from theft and or rain damage although I could simply get a garbage can as a cover on top of a stand of sorts to get it off the ground and put it outside at the pole and run the rv cord to it with a lock on it.

Someday I may hardwire it in the bay but for now I am going to manually enable it. Is this overkill?

Yes! Here's what the Hughes manual says about that:

"Can I use an extension cord?

Yes, but only if it’s the proper size. To avoid voltage drop, use larger wire on longer extension cords. For 30 amp service, use 10-gauge wire or larger. For 50 amp service, use 8-gauge wire or larger. Note: wire size is larger when the gauge number is smaller. When using an extension cord, always plug the Autoformer into it. The extension cord should always be between the Autoformer and the park receptacle."

Here's a link to the full manual.

Just be sure your extension cord is at least 8 AWG wire and keep the length reasonable; 20-30' would be more than sufficient.

TJ

Just a follow-up, @sheridany. This is the extension cord we carry:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024ECIP0/?tag=rvf01-20

The hot legs and neutral are 6AWG and the ground leg is 8AWG. This is plenty for a 30' cord on a 50A RV circuit.

I wouldn't go any longer than 30' and would have gone with a 20' or 25' had I found one.

TJ

This is the one I am looking at. It’s a bit pricey but I don’t want to skimp on electrical. I think it meets what @TJ&LadyDi wrote above.

Miady 30ft 50Amp Heavy Duty RV Extension Cord, Easy Unplug Design with Cord Organizer, 6/8 Gauge, ETL Listed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7Y916X/?tag=rvf01-20

This is the one I am looking at. It’s a bit pricey but I don’t want to skimp on electrical. I think it meets what @TJ&LadyDi wrote above.

Miady 30ft 50Amp Heavy Duty RV Extension Cord, Easy Unplug Design with Cord Organizer, 6/8 Gauge, ETL Listed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7Y916X/?tag=rvf01-20
That should work just fine. It has what I would look for in a heavy duty extension cord; 100% copper conductors and 6AWG/3 + 8AWG/1 wire size. Kinda wish I'd seen that one first, but I bought mine 2-3 years ago, so it might not have been available then.

Great find, @sheridany.

TJ

Oh, and I just ordered one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1ZMLLK/?tag=rvf01-20

...for my heavy duty jumper cable set (20' w/2AWG conductors). It just occurred to me that my extension cord might fit in one as well. If I find that it does, I'll order another one. Cable bags make it easy to carry and store wires and cables. I have used them for years to carry coaxial cable for portable ham radio activities.

TJ

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken, I believe the Autoformer plugs directly into the pole and the watchdog into the autoformer. You want the autoformer to boost the voltage, when it is low from the pole. You don't want the watchdog to shut off power before the autoformer detects the low voltage.

Oh, and I just ordered one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1ZMLLK/?tag=rvf01-20

...for my heavy duty jumper cable set (20' w/2AWG conductors). It just occurred to me that my extension cord might fit in one as well. If I find that it does, I'll order another one. Cable bags make it easy to carry and store wires and cables. I have used them for years to carry coaxial cable for portable ham radio activities.

TJ
Very nice. Your getting as bad as Neal, spending my money,?

I asked Hughes for the recommenced setup since I have the power watchdog surge already. It seems redundant if the autoformer has surge in it so not sure why you would have both other than to get notification on the app.

Thank you for considering us again! We recommend that the autoformer go first, next to the pedestal. The Power Watchdog units would be plugged into the female output of the autoformer. This way the autoformer can boost low voltage, the Power Watchdog will let you know the voltage you are getting from the park, plus if it is boosted from the autoformer. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I asked Hughes for the recommenced setup since I have the power watchdog surge already. It seems redundant if the autoformer has surge in it so not sure why you would have both other than to get notification on the app.

Thank you for considering us again! We recommend that the autoformer go first, next to the pedestal. The Power Watchdog units would be plugged into the female output of the autoformer. This way the autoformer can boost low voltage, the Power Watchdog will let you know the voltage you are getting from the park, plus if it is boosted from the autoformer. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Good information, @sheridany. And, I don't see anything in the Hughes response that would prevent you from inserting an extension cord between the Autoformer and the park pedestal. It would simply move the pedestal outlet closer to your coach.

TJ

Latest resources

Back