RV Model
Wildwood XL 253 RLXL
RV Length
25 ft or so
TOW/TOAD
Chev 2011 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ
Fulltimer
No
The awning on our TT is showing some deterioration at the point where it is attached to the TT and the first 1/2 turn of the roll. No tears or rips at this point. I would like to apply something to the first 6" to 8" to protect the most exposed area when fully retracted. What's your experience and suggestion of methods and material to use?

I tried using Aerospace 303 and other silicone-based chemicals to no advantage. If it were new, maybe so.

Therefore I'll take three approaches: (a) apply 2 coats of Flex Seal, (b) totally mess it up with something, and (c) just replace the dang thing.

My sunbrella boat cover lasted 5-7 years. I would imagine depending on exposure an awning isn't going to do much better. I expect it will have to be replaced at some time if used extensively, which mine is not. I'm in the coach more than out and only extend the awning during the brief times its needed due to winds, rain, etc. I don't know that treatments help other than make you feel like you're taking care of it.

Thanks Neal. Yes, I'd expect 5 to 7 years. The area of concern is between the point attached to our TT and the awning roller. There is about 6" to 8" of the exposed area along the full length of the awning. The remainder of the awning is in good condition as it has very little sun and WX exposure. While we've owned it, I've kept it clean and applied a UV protectant. But still, there is the area of constant exposure.

The "plastic covers" of some awning setups address this issue. Not sure if you can "add" one onto your setup. But certainly it's the sun damage you are noticing, so anything to keep the sun off will help. Blessings

I think its the soaked in water that gets trapped inside the rolled up awning - causes mildew and rot. Not that I do it but simply rolling it out to let it dry periodically might go a long way towards its preservation.

Rick

While trapped water when rolled up does contribute to mold and mildew, it is the area between the top of the roll and the point where the awning is attached to the trailer. In general, the awning is rolled such that water doesn't get inside. It is the 6" to 8" between the roll and the attachment point that is always exposed to the weather and sun. That is my area of concern.

Before using "Flex Seal", I would suggest you do a lot of research! There are a lot of negative comments from "RV'ers", about it breaking down, no real "UV" protection, & actually not being waterproof!
Before potentially ruining it, I would research other products.
There is a very strong "tape" product that folks use in lieu of dicor sealant, "EternaBond", which is waterproof & flexible. That might be a solution!
Or replacement!
Good Luck!

What I was referring to is this...

1654788231786.png

Or something along this line...Once rolled in the awning is protected from the sun. Just saying...

Thanks. Looks nice but not an option for me.

Latest resources

Back