RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2011 Jeep Liberty
Leaving Gold Canyon AZ April 1st headed to Ohio. Would like to take AZ Highway 60 to Show Low AZ then AR Highway 77 to Holbrook.

Hwy 60 goes thru the Tonto National Forest and looks to have the typical mountain switchbacks, elevation changes etc.

Has anyone driven this and can provide some input. Have 40 diesel pusher pulling a Jeep Liberty.

TIA

Hwy 60 has some steep terrain, RT 77 other than a secondary road looks reasonably clear. Expect RT77 to be narrow with no shoulders. Looks like a nice scenic ride. rt 77 rt 60 az.png

Hwy 60 Sourced from the Mountain Directory. Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers

RT60 AZ.png

Another good source of information that is current SR 77 | ADOT

Real time camera

rt77 real time.png

Last edited:
Leaving Gold Canyon AZ April 1st headed to Ohio. Would like to take AZ Highway 60 to Show Low AZ then AR Highway 77 to Holbrook.

Hwy 60 goes thru the Tonto National Forest and looks to have the typical mountain switchbacks, elevation changes etc.

Has anyone driven this and can provide some input. Have 40 diesel pusher pulling a Jeep Liberty.

TIA
@bowpulpit the drive to globe can be congested. Wow what memories I think I was 13 the last time I was on that road. You will be going through the reservation going that route. Depending on what you are looking for, many routes would work for you. You could even go east on the 60 and stop by the VLA in New Mexico.

Yes I have and yes I will. Take 60 to ShowLow, that is. Gorgeous Salt River Canyon and more. 40’, 360HP, towing. No problem. I encourage it.

edit to add: I like to wiggle over to 117 that eventually intersects I-40 south of Grants.
edit for a little more detail: from ShowLow, continue east on 60, through Eager, cross the state line into NM, continuing on 60 to Quemado. North on 36 to the intersection with 117, turn east. You'll go through the El Malpais National Monument. Beautiful. The Joe Skeen BLM campground is on this route, if you care to. Next up is I-40.

Last edited:
Hwy 60 has some steep terrain, RT 77 other than a secondary road looks reasonably clear. Expect RT77 to be narrow with no shoulders. Looks like a nice scenic ride.View attachment 5485

Hwy 60 Sourced from the Mountain Directory. Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers

View attachment 5484
That’s a nice resource, @Joe Goodxrvn. I hadn’t run across it before; I’ve led a sheltered life. ;) Will certainly add it to my collection of travel guides. Thanks for mentioning it.

TJ

@bowpulpit the drive to globe can be congested. Wow what memories I think I was 13 the last time I was on that road. You will be going through the reservation going that route. Depending on what you are looking for, many routes would work for you. You could even go east on the 60 and stop by the VLA in New Mexico.
Thanks Kevin

Yes I have and yes I will. Take 60 to ShowLow, that is. Gorgeous Salt River Canyon and more. 40’, 360HP, towing. No problem. I encourage it.

edit to add: I like to wiggle over to 117 that eventually intersects I-40 south of Grants.
Thanks Randy. We have the same coach as you but a year older. Good to know this route is OK with our rig. Will plan to go that way.

Leaving Gold Canyon AZ April 1st ...
Gold Canyon AZ. Canyon Vistas or Gold Canyon RV? We’ve stayed at Canyon Vistas 2 years ago. Next year just might return there or Gold Canyon. Both are good choices.

We’re in Apache Junction this year. Also departing April Fool’s day. We might be traveling the route I described above...to Joe Skeen, near Grants NM. My 1st choice would be to Moab, but early April might be a touch early (cool).

Latest resources

Back