Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Tonight I'll be cooking a rack of baby backs and I'm open to suggestions on how to cook them. I need to do some web research as well but I want them moist and fall off the bone. I think it's one thing to smoke them but I think there has to be some point in the cook where they are covered and sealed to retain the moisture? I'm not sure, it just seems like smoking them is a drying process. Looking for tips on amazing baby back ribs on a pellet grill and or other cooking options. I realize I can also use the instant pot which last time I did this it was amazing as it retained the moisture so I'm not sure which is best for baby back's, instant pot or pellet grill smoker??

I know this may sound crazy at first, but over the past year I've become quite adept at sous vide cooking. If you aren't aware, that's encasing food in a vacuum sealed bag and cooking it in a water bath at relatively low temperatures.

I could go on and on about sous vide cooking in general, but to respond to your post, one thing that we've made multiple times is baby back ribs. We cook the ribs for 24-30 hours at 155 degrees and they come out unbelievably moist and falling off the bone tender. One of the joys of sous vide cooking is that timing is a fairly insignificant element in the cooking process so I can keep the ribs ready to serve for hours, if needed. There's no need to worry about them drying out because, of course, they're sealed in a bag!

With my standard sous vide container (a 12 liter Rubbermaid plastic tub) I can easily cook a full rack (split in half). I also own a larger cooking container that I purchased for use with company and I used it last year to cook three full racks.

Although our little neck of the woods is known for Santa Maria Style BBQ...baby backs are terrific over the oak coals that make us unique. To get the fall-off-the-bone effect you are going for you must cook low and slow. Season ribs and wrap in foil. Pour some liquid into the foil before sealing (beer is usually the choice). Put into oven (in a pan) at (SAY) 185 for a couple to three hours. Remove and finish off on the grill with what ever method you are using. Pellet (smoke) BBQ is perfect. Should be eatable ? Have fun at least...

I know this may sound crazy at first, but over the past year I've become quite adept at sous vide cooking. If you aren't aware, that's encasing food in a vacuum sealed bag and cooking it in a water bath at relatively low temperatures.

I could go on and on about sous vide cooking in general, but to respond to your post, one thing that we've made multiple times is baby back ribs. We cook the ribs for 24-30 hours at 155 degrees and they come out unbelievably moist and falling off the bone tender. One of the joys of sous vide cooking is that timing is a fairly insignificant element in the cooking process so I can keep the ribs ready to serve for hours, if needed. There's no need to worry about them drying out because, of course, they're sealed in a bag!

With my standard sous vide container (a 12 liter Rubbermaid plastic tub) I can easily cook a full rack (split in half). I also own a larger cooking container that I purchased for use with company and I used it last year to cook three full racks.
I have started using my sous vide guite a bit. Everything I have tried from egg bites in small canning jars to pork chops has been absolutely delicious. Pork chops are so lean these days, but cooking them this way leaves them juicy and tender. You do need to brown them quickly at the end so they look great. I am thinking of getting one for the coach. I’ll have to set it on something heat resistant , as the Corian would not fo well. A friend did a turkey breast in it at Thanksgiving, and said it was wonderful. Judy D

It's going to be instant pot tonight. Didn't start early enough for a smoker option and if I don't eat them tonight they'll be green and considered antibiotics tomorrow.

I am thinking of getting one for the coach. I’ll have to set it on something heat resistant , as the Corian would not do well.
We also have Corian counters and all I use for heat protection is one of those Corning glass counter protectors. The highest temperature dish I make are the ribs at 155F; everything else is <140F which isn't really all that hot.

I agree with your comments about cooking lean pork; we really like pork tenderloin done in the sous vide.

As for "finishing" meats to give them a more pleasing appearance, I now own a butane blowtorch of the kind people use for crème brule. I usually carry my meat outside on a cookie sheet where I use the torch on it for a couple of minutes. (Using it inside the MH caused the smoke detectors to go nuts!) For Xmas we cooked a small prime, prime rib and then seared it with the torch; it was fabulous.

Our son, an accomplished chef, has been using sous vide and speaks highly of the method. Sounds like a new cookbook will be needed; "Cooking with Water and a Blowtorch." :ROFLMAO:

TJ

Sounds like a new cookbook will be needed; "Cooking with Water and a Blowtorch."
Here's a link to a free version of the "bible" of sous vide cooking. Even though you may not care about it, the beginning of the book explains the science behind how the process works. It may take you a moment to remember that cooking chicken at, for example, 140F, goes against everything you ever learned about food safety. The "trick" is that the developers of the technique studied the the time it takes to pasteurize different cuts of meat and from that they developed table of how long you have to cook things at those low temperatures in order for them to be safe. The concept of sous vide was developed by the restaurant industry in the early 1990's.
A Practical Guide to Sous Vide cooking

Here you go @Neal I teed it up for you.

Culinary Butane Torch , ARCBLD Kitchen Refillable Butane Blow Torch with Safety Lock and Adjustable Flame for Crafts Cooking BBQ Baking Brulee Creme Desserts DIY Soldering(Butane Gas Not Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085SXFFR1/?tag=rvf01-20

Latest resources

Back