Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Terricolorado

RVF Newbee
Ok, I’m new here. (65 year old Woman widowed recently who Is not giving up camping and ATVing any time soon) we just recently had my husbands “Celebration of Life” in the mountains. This trip was my “”maiden voyage”, as my deceased husband was always the driver of our “Class C 2006 29’ Gulf Stream” RV. I drove truck/trailer with ATV’s. Well unfortunately driving out of camping area, I backed into a stump trees and debris causing quite a bit of damage to the back end, both sides.. I am so saddened by this. I called my insurance co.. well guess what, as I called them in May to reactivate my insurance for summer months, they ONLY took my husbands name off the policy, and I ASSUMED they just started back up my “summer insurance” as well. They did not! I’m screwed! I’m scared of what the cost is going to be without insurance, I cannot drive it down to the city (I live in the mountains in Colorado) with “bungee cords” and ratchet straps holding everything together for fear of everything will bust open from wind pulling away the damage! Here around Denver we have only Camping World for repairs, they are booked out 4 months! I just don’t know what to do at this point. Any suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

• DD7C3A65-F7AF-41B6-B193-2AEA4139FA3F.jpeg
    DD7C3A65-F7AF-41B6-B193-2AEA4139FA3F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
Step #1: Take a deep breath.

Step #2: Hit this link to find repair shops. denver rv body repair shops - Google Search

Step #3: Get estimates from two to three of them. At least then you will know how big the financial wolf is that you’re going to have to deal with.

I'm sorry for your loss @Terricolorado but I'm glad you are hitting the camping circuit again as there is your life to be lived. We all ding and make booboos, count me in this club. Probably not that much to fix but you can also assess even if you want to fix it. At some point you just have to call them character marks and they have a story behind them. We learn from these just as I learned about tail swing as I'm always solo. It's okay. Hang in there, you'll find a place that will take good care of you, look for reputable dealers in your travels or near home.

Welcome to RVF, @Terricolorado; just sorry your first post had to be under these circumstances. Good advice posted above; especially from @USMCRet ; "Take a deep breath." Things always look worse at the beginning. This will all get taken care of.

I would first go back to the insurance company since you requested that the insurance be activated for the summer. It would be my contention that someone there dropped the ball and did not do what you requested. A suggestion that you will be taking the issue up with the state insurance commission might get them to reconsider.

If not, find a body shop to do the work and see if they can cut you any kind of a break due to your recent circumstances. As far as moving the RV, get a roll of Gorilla duct tape and use it copiously to hold things together. It is pretty amazing stuff. And...no...I don't own stock in the Gorilla Tape company; just a satisfied user.

One way or another, I' pretty sure that things will work out and you will get back out on the road. Best of luck.

TJ

Welcome and sorry to hear of your situation. I had a C about your size. I bought it brand new, and drove it home successfully.The next day as I was pulling up to the gas pump, I heard a horrible scraping sound. Indeed $1500 of damage on the way to the first campground. No body told me how to use the smaller bottom mirror.

Now I have a new Class A All the driving was fine for over 3000 miles. Then coming home on the last trip, I dinged my driver side mirror in one of those unreasonably tight Ohio Turnpike automated toll booths. Always watch that mirror.Arrggghhhh!.

You will be ok. The G.O.A.L., I hope I have learned is get out and look.

God bless.

Welcome,

In the racing seen duck tape is called 100mph tape for a reason. If wind can't get in no more damage can be done.

Hi @Terricolorado & welcome. So sorry for your loss. Everyone else has said it but I’ll add more of the same. Take a breath, it ain’t that bad. A little bit of duct tape or gorilla tape will work fine for that. We’ve all had an incident or two...or three. My first was a leaning tree that I got a hair too close to and scratched my front cap above the driver side window. I was mad at myself for days!

I haven’t told anyone else this yet, but on 4th of July weekend, I ran over a huge 8’ long wooden beam with my rear tires while making a wide turn in at a harvest host, put a nice 14” scratch in my wetbay door. Didn’t phase me. I looked at it said, at least I didn’t dent it!
Point is it happens to all of us. We sigh, get a beer and move on - and you will to!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back