Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

FRANKDECKER

RVF Newbee
The generator on my 2009 Allegro Bus has become unreliable. I'm looking for backup power when dry camping if the generator won't start. I see several 3KW/4KW portable generators (Honda, Generac, Champion) that come with a 30 Amp RV outlet that I could simply plug my shore power cable into, BUT these generators have a note beside that 30 Amp outlet stating that the generator has FLOATING NEUTRAL. Can I safely use one of these generators to power coach when dry camping? Do I need to modify anything to do that? Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge you can safely use these generators to power your coach. However, you'll need to manage your power draw as the generator will run with a "floating" speed to meet the draw. You'll not want to exceed (demand) the actual output of the unit. As you probably already know, there are big price differences and performance variations with portable generators (Oh, and weight 😊) Do your homework and you'll find something that will fit your needs. Good luck.

The floating neutral will sometimes cause an error code on some electronics or a surge protector if you have one.

Latest resources

Back